DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Mini fridge to Chest Freezer Quandary

527 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  beenthere
So I live in a college/University community and every year, regardless of viral disease and mayhem, the students throw away tons of furniture, appliances, and the infamous mii fridge. I've scooped a few over the years selling them on craigslist and the like. About 6 months ago I was coming home from a hunting expedition and came across a youtube video or some post or another regarding transforming a college mini fridge into a deep freezer, which although I was unsuccessful in my hunt, I thought well surely next year I will need an item like this to throw Bambi and friends into, eh it was a project what can I say? :biggrin2:

So here's my dilemma, now that I have a mii fridge, built a wooden supporting frame, learned that the evaporating coils need to be above the compressor, and a few other lessons... This evening I used my Multimeter to check the continuity between the three posts and the outer wall (scrapped with a file to bare metal) And they all appeared good, I got the following values: No pin had a resistance agains the shell of the compressor, good. ~10 ohms, 42.5 ohms, and 38 ohms. I saw a video today stating they should be 4, 6 and 10. I don't know how true this is. Also I have a feeling I'm working with the same problem I started with, The lines not being appropriately elevated or arranged in accordance to either each other or the compressor itself. :wink2:

I'll attach photos, and I plan on posting this in 2 other sections on this forum (they do that in reddit and it annoys me but hey I'm not posting about my cat yawning) :glasses:

Photos will come later having technical difficulties sending an email from y phone, thanks. :vs_cool:
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
17,654 Posts
The refrigeration circuit in a mini-fridge won't have enough capacity to properly maintain 0F - typical freezer temperature.

The compressor must be upright, use it as a chest freezer and the oil will run out of the compressor and it may eventually seize up.

These units aren't very efficient either. Find a cheap used chest freezer and be done with it.

Reactions: JBoot

· Registered
3,257 Posts
Re: Mini fridge to Chest Freezer Quandry

The quick answer is no, the compressor won't have the capacity to perform as a freezer.

The longer answer is, it takes a volumetrically large capacity compressor for freezer applications and special metering devices to keep them from overloading their motor before the evaporator pressure is lowered to the point where it's managable.

The even longer answer is, processing freezers (like you'll need to freeze Bambi quickly) have to have much greater capacity than common holding type freezers.

Sorry.

· Administrator
42,671 Posts
I'll attach photos, and I plan on posting this in 2 other sections on this forum (they do that in reddit and it annoys me but hey I'm not posting about my cat yawning) :glasses:

Thats not allowed here. And duplicate threads are removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.