DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello:

This question regards Miele dishwasher model G858 SCVI PLUS and part #5268871, #3 in this visual and #212 in this one.

My dish washer, a Miele G858SCVI Plus, is stuck in the Top Solo function. Read this link to fully understand the situation. My question is, since I never use the Top Solo function and a new valve is $150, can I simply remove the ball that diverts the water in the Top Solo solonoid valve, or will this cause an error thus causing the unit not to run its full cycle? For your convenience, here is a page with this unit's wiring diagram and here is a blown up one. The Top Solo valve is Y27 on these pictures.

Your input would be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
After reading through the material that you’ve linked, I agree with your proposal. The dishwasher won’t “know” that the ball is missing and won’t get any feedback that water is still going to the lower wash arm, so things should work as you want. Of course, if the electronics are stuck in the one wash mode there may be other issues coming. The only issue that I see is disassembly of the valve to remove the ball causing a water leak at the housing split point if the gasket is not reusable.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the extremely quick response, Chris.

Here is a photo of a replacement Top Solo valve I found with what looks to be the diverter ball in plain sight. It looks as if access to the ball is simple once the valve is taken off. I am assuming I would just have to shake the ball out so that I feel into the area where the pumped water passes through. Once in this position, couldn’t I just break it up and remove it from the area it’s held in and reattach it the valve? It doesn’t look as if I will have to dismantle the valve/compromise any gaskets. Your thoughts?

After reading through the material that you’ve linked, I agree with your proposal. The dishwasher won’t “know” that the ball is missing and won’t get any feedback that water is still going to the lower wash arm, so things should work as you want. Of course, if the electronics are stuck in the one wash mode there may be other issues coming. The only issue that I see is disassembly of the valve to remove the ball causing a water leak at the housing split point if the gasket is not reusable.

Chris

Chris

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm doubtful that would work. The ball will be more robust than, for example, a ping-pong ball. It is unlikely to break without damaging the valve body enclosing it, even if there was a way to hold it against something solid while it was impacted.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. So, so this is what I am thinking.

First, clean the solonoid’s connectors and see if it functions again.

Second, my understanding is that the solonoid valve moves the ball back and forth via engaging a magnet. This means that inside of the ball there is likely a metal bearing. If I were to drill this ball and crack off it’s plastic outside material, perhaps I can remove it in pieces.

If the above doesn’t work, I will unscrew the housing and remove the ball, add some automotive gasket seal to the gasket and then close the housing.

(You probably didn’t want to read all of this and, if you don’t want to, you don’t need to respond, but working it through with you has been helpful and oddly satisfying. Thank you so much for your time, Chris!)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
First, clean the solonoid’s connectors and see if it functions again.
Good idea.
Second, my understanding is that the solonoid valve moves the ball back and forth via engaging a magnet. This means that inside of the ball there is likely a metal bearing. If I were to drill this ball and crack off it’s plastic outside material, perhaps I can remove it in pieces.
I have a different understanding after reading the RD Appliance data. I think that the plastic ball is just a plastic ball. When the Top Solo function is initialized, the solenoid pushes the plunger forward, which pushes the ball into the path of the water flowing to the lower spray arm. The water then pushes the ball against the opening of the TSV, preventing most of the water from flowing through it. When the water stops the ball falls by gravity back against the retracted plunger.
If the above doesn’t work, I will unscrew the housing and remove the ball, add some automotive gasket seal to the gasket and then close the housing.
I agree. Use the gasket material sparingly and confirm that it’s suitable for plastic surfaces.
(You probably didn’t want to read all of this and, if you don’t want to, you don’t need to respond, but working it through with you has been helpful and oddly satisfying. Thank you so much for your time, Chris!)
You’re welcome. It’s satisfying for me to help someone who is putting in effort to solve the problem. A lot of the people who ask questions here are not like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea.

I have a different understanding after reading the RD Appliance data. I think that the plastic ball is just a plastic ball. When the Top Solo function is initialized, the solenoid pushes the plunger forward, which pushes the ball into the path of the water flowing to the lower spray arm. The water then pushes the ball against the opening of the TSV, preventing most of the water from flowing through it. When the water stops the ball falls by gravity back against the retracted plunger.

I agree. Use the gasket material sparingly and confirm that it’s suitable for plastic surfaces.

You’re welcome. It’s satisfying for me to help someone who is putting in effort to solve the problem. A lot of the people who ask questions here are not like that.
Open heart surgery not necessary. Cleaned the contacts on the TSV with vinegar and tapped the housing lightly and all is well. Thanks, Chris!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts