DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a kitchen remodel where I have to move the microwave to another wall. The outlets are wired with #12 on a 20A breaker.

Here is my dilemma. Can I run a #14 from from the microwave to one the #12 outlets to run the microwave?

Fridge and stove are on a separate circuit so the only thing on this 20A is the kitchen receptacles and lights.

Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The #14 would be branched off of one of the #12 outlets and will only power the permanently mounted microwave. Here are the specs for the microwave:

Product rated at 120v, 60 hertz, 15 amps and 1.70 kw. The power supply cord should be connected to a separate 15 to 20 ampre branch circuit single grounded outlet.

·
Resi EC
480 Posts
The #14 would be branched off of one of the #12 outlets and will only power the permanently mounted microwave. Here are the specs for the microwave:

Product rated at 120v, 60 hertz, 15 amps and 1.70 kw. The power supply cord should be connected to a separate 15 to 20 ampre branch circuit single grounded outlet.
You need a dedicated circuit for this appliance.

Do not run #14 on a 20a circuit

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
Either a 15 or 20 amp circuit is code compliant. It needs to be a single receptacle, and the amp rating of the receptacle must match the amp rating of the breaker supplying it.

If it's a 15 amp breaker, #14 will be ok. If it's a 20, you'll need #12.

The only places that you can use #14 on a 20 amp circuit is a motor, welder, or HVAC unit.

Rob

·
Registered
431 Posts
If permanent microwave has the vent/fan light attatchment id surely go with the 20 amp/ 12G.(many manufactures recommend it anyway )

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
I think you cant run a #14 from the microwave to one the #12 outlets to run the microwave You should consult your user guide book to avoid experiments and loss.
It's kind of hacky, but there's no reason he can't. It's code compliant and safe as long as the breaker is 15A. It doesn't even violate the manufacturer's instructions, since they say the microwave "should" be connected to a dedicated circuit, not that it "must". It's just a recommendation.

Reactions: TTW and sqzdog

·
Registered
350 Posts
If there is #14 wire anywhere in the circuit, you must use a 15 amp breaker. Not recommended, but done. Also at the panel, the wire should be marked 15 amp only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. This will only be temporary. Maybe for 1 week. Just didn't want to burn the house down in the meantime if I fire up the microwave.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts