DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GE XL1800 microwave oven. The problem started yesterday. When the door is open, the light inside turns on accompanied by a humming sound (What’s making this sound?). The turntable isn’t turning nor is the vent (top of microwave oven) opening.

After browsing the web, it seems that the most likely cause is a faulty door switch. So, today, I took off the control panel so I can take photos of the specs of the micro switches. I also did a quick test by pressing the buttons. Surprisingly, all 3 switches clicked fine.

I took out my multimeter to test for continuity. All 3 tested fine. The top and bottom switches (NO) showed continuity only when actuated. The middle switch (NC) showed continuity only when not actuated.

Now, I’m completely lost. I proceeded to do some cleaning while I’m thinking about what to do next. I cleaned the outside of each switch. The middle switch was the grimiest. I also cleaned the switch holder and the latch actuator.

When I put everything back, the microwave oven worked normally - i.e., when the door is open, it’s just the light that turns on. There’s no humming sound.

So, I’m glad that my microwave oven is “fixed” but what happened before? Why was there that humming sound before when the door was open?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke too soon. Within 48 h, the problem was back. So, I just ordered a pair of micro switches and replaced both primary and secondary switches.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts