DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My panel is installed inside the garage against a wall perpendicular to a small window. The meter is read through this small viewing window. My old smaller panel was mounted at an angle so that the meter can be read. My new panel is much bigger due to added new circuits and cannot be mounted this way. My electrician has opted for a meter main combo mounted flat against the perpendicular wall. Problem is that the meter cannot be read now.

So a couple questions:
1. I've seen adapters for the meter that turns it 90 degrees from the meter base. Does anyone know what that's called and where to get one?

2. Turning the meter 90 degrees where it is won't work since it will block the circuit breakers on the right. Is there a meter main combo panel where the meter is on the right side, and the circuit breakers on the left?

Last resort is to split up the meter base and main panel. I would still need to angle the meter to be viewable though.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
In addition the meter is farther away from the window than before (as you have shown it) and harder to read even if the meter faced the window.

Can you read the meter yourself and send in the readings each month?

Can the power company install a meter with remote control reading capability? (Probably fits in the same meter socket)

While you could mount a mirror so the meter can be seen from the outside, the view will be backwards and the chances of read errors are increased.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
The poco usually provides and installs the 90 degree adapter. I've seen them installed on roadside poles for utility transponders and boosters, so they can read the meter without getting out of the truck and walking through a ditch.

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
The POCO here would have forced the new meter to be outside. Also we have smart meters so no one has to actually come and look at it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In addition the meter is farther away from the window than before (as you have shown it) and harder to read even if the meter faced the window.

Can you read the meter yourself and send in the readings each month?
the picture is not to scale. The meter IS a little further but not too much.
I've had to phone in the readings the last couple months, but this is a temporary solution at best. Not sure if POCO allows doing this regularly. It is also very inconvenient.

The POCO here would have forced the new meter to be outside. Also we have smart meters so no one has to actually come and look at it.
Around here, it is very common for the meter to be inside like it is with mine. Smart meters are available, but I am reluctant to make the switch due to many complaints I've heard about its accuracy and overcharging. For now, I opt to avoid them.

So back to my original question. Is there no such thing as a meter mounted on the right side of a meter-main combo?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts