DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a tray for a Honda generator the generator is about 60 lbs. What is the thinnest metal a hack welder that can't see too good anymore be able to weld using a flux core wire in the cheap DC Harbor Freight welder?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a CAD design strength, going by the seat of my pants and gud nough. If the thinnest looks too thin I will move up. tray will be 16X24 so should not need much!

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Well since you want to do it on the cheap........
Find an old bed frame.
The angle will hold the generator in place and a flea market, thrift shop or garbage day will source what you need.
You will need a grinder to cut the frame......there isn't enough time to cut one with a hacksaw.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a budd that is a landscaper and picks up bed frames for me. The rack I will be putting the tray on is made from bed frame, that I can weld. Did you know bed frames made in America use to be made from recycled railroad track?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a budd that is a landscaper and picks up bed frames for me. The rack I will be putting the tray on is made from bed frame, that I can weld. Did you know bed frames made in America use to be made from recycled railroad track?
Those would be some strong bed frames.

$14 and I'm sure this will carry it. Add some "flooring" if needed.

Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977 Many more options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts