DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It closes if you pull the left side toward you and slam the right side in. I don't think my mom wants to keep doing that though.

A few years ago, sod was put in the backyard. A small truck backed into gate and gave it a tap. I believe the damaged part or at least what visually looks wrong would be the metal post. Both of them look a little out of line. The result is when the gate is almost closed the top half there is a 1/4 inch gap between the two and bottom half pretty much rubs all the way.

I believe the gates lift off. The two metal posts are connected to a block wall by two bolts. Before attempting to pound the bent posts which will probably result in a gate that is even worse. Would putting washers behind one or some of the bolts fix this?

·
Super Moderator
23,007 Posts
It looks to me like the top of the post is bent out and closing the gap between the gates. Putting washers behind the bolts will only make it worse.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Another thought - you could remove the gates (you mentioned they lifted off) then, drill a hole through the top of each metal piece and into the masonry, install an anchor and bolt set and 'suck' the metal frame back to the masonry wall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts