DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an exterior wrought iron gate, where the dead bolt latch plate for some reason was notched out in a "C" shape instead of a rectangular hole. The plate is 5-3/4" long, 1-1/4" wide and the bottom of the notch is 1" above the bottom edge.

The dead bolt is long so it does lock, but because of the notch it has too much play and when it's windy the gate keeps banging the metal jamb.

I doubt I will be able to find a latch plate that fits exactly what I have. What is the best way to fabricate something that works? Do I take an aluminum ruler, cut it to 5-3/4" long, then use something like a Dremel to cut a rectangular hole to fit the bolt?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,375 Posts
In the decent hardware stores, they have aluminum "mending plates", you can buy the closest oversized one, and with a file / Dremel, or other tool, fashion a perfect fit replacement with a proper sized rectangular hole for the bolt to go into.

ED

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the gate, with a concrete column on each side.

Here is the back side of the strike plate once I removed it. It has some parts sticking out, so I will need to grind it smooth with an angle grinder...still think may be easier to get a plate and cut a hole?

Looking into the hole after the strike plate was removed, I see a wire nut back there, inside the concrete column.

So it appears there was once something to remotely operate a latch. Should be low voltage? More mystery to figure out at this house.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I end up getting an 8" filler plate, thickness over 1/8". Cut it to 5-3/4" long, drilled two new holes to match the screw holes, then tapped the existing holes on the jamb side. Then used a Dremel to cut the hole for the dead bolt. Overheated my Dremel since it's so thick. In the end it worked out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.