DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was taking off my toliet in order to put down new floor and I thought the Drain pipe was the little plastic ring attached to the wax ring. In the end I realized I kept pushing down the cast iron Pipe into the drain hole! Hard to explain but this picture should help. What should I be doing? Is this a major repair? What should the cost be ?

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
IF you were "pushing down" the cast iron pipe then the home must have a crawl space. Hopefully there is enough loose play under the home to push up the cast iron pipe so you can trim it off even with the flooring. IF not I have seen devices that you can adapt CI within the floor to a PVC adaptor and then finish out the toilet flange. Don't know what they are called, but somone will chime in here soon with the answer, I'll bet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What I see in that photo looks like lead pipe. I will leave it to the more experienced to give advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the confusion, put I should probably clarify a few things

1) I don't believe I pushed down on the cast iron drain pipe, I instead just compressed it a little bit. (ie pushed it down 3-5 cm's or so.)
2) Its actually in the basement so I am almost positive there is no crawl space
3) The pipe seems weak and some parts have come off via a hammer and screwdriver prying.

Originally what I thought was that I was just pushing down a metal ring which was breaking up which I believed would be able to be lifted up after 20 minutes of prying, but after further inspection I found this was one solid piece. I believe I would be able to trim it as well so it didn't compress the whole as much.

Tnx again for the help, I really really appreciate it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be lead I have no idea, I thought they we all cast iron. The house was built in 1975 or so if that helps.

·
Premium Member
11,952 Posts
Thats lead, but where's the flange? I'd try to unfold the lead with a pair of pliers. Be careful, it might tear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all thanks for the help everyone!

Short answer. I still have the flange and bolts, its on my countertop.

The lead pipe was overtop of the flange and the old vinyl floor was underneath this. Thinking I needed to change the flooring underneath of the flange, I pulled away the lead pipe with pliers so I could take off the flange (thus putting the floor right to the concrete disposal hole). Should I still be pulling back the pipe more?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok after some research i figured out what happened

Before: Cast Iron tube extended above the hole which was then hammered over the flange to keep it in place. This is what it looked like (flat flange with nothing going into the hole)

I am thinking to use this wax ring I just bought
and then screw the current flange I have directly into the concrete.

Thoughts? I could upload more pictures if that helps.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts