DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed help identifying the cause and solution to a problem that occurred with my dishwasher plug. I noticed that the dishwasher was not turning on. Upon inspection of the plug connection it looked like the plug from the dishwasher had melted in a way that now was preventing the pins from inserting fully into the receptacle plug.
I have shaved off some of the melted area with a utility knife but have stopped using the dishwasher.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
And this is why dishwashers are required to be hard-wired in Michigan. They use a lot of power, so they are subject to this kind of thing happening if one of the prongs fits loosely in the receptacle, creating high resistance and heat. Run a separate 20A circuit from the breaker directly to the dishwasher, and hook it up in the built-in junction box.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
And this is why dishwashers are required to be hard-wired in Michigan. They use a lot of power, so they are subject to this kind of thing happening if one of the prongs fits loosely in the receptacle, creating high resistance and heat. Run a separate 20A circuit from the breaker directly to the dishwasher, and hook it up in the built-in junction box.
Michigan is probably in the minority of states that require dishwashers to be wired in directly. Most states now require them to be connected with a plug so that there is a local disconnect when working on the appliance.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Michigan is probably in the minority of states that require dishwashers to be wired in directly. Most states now require them to be connected with a plug so that there is a local disconnect when working on the appliance.

OK, well, if you must use a cord, then use at least a 14AWG one and a higher quality receptacle. That is, use a $3 one, and not a standard 50-cent one. Those will hold the plugs in more securely.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Was the cord on the dishwasher new? Maybe someone put an undersized cord that is overheating. As others have said hardwire a receptacle close to dishwasher on a dedicated circuit. Use a commercial grade receptacle not the cheap ones. They have better connections. Then ensure at least 14AWG stranded wire in the cord and put a commercial grade plug on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts