DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my windows with new construction windows. Is it safe to measure inside from drywall to drywall, vertical and horizontal, to determine rough opening size?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hard telling. You would think so, but a lot depends on what sort of window is currently in there. Can't see it so no way to be definite about it. Generally if you have drywall jambs, I would measure drywall to drywall and add about 1 1/4" to account for 1/2" drywall on each side and corner bead... then take those measurements outside and see if that makes sense or not by looking at the existing window and the way it was installed.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Ideally, you would measure from one jack stud to the other for the width and from the rough base to the header for the height.
If you 100% ready to proceed with the window replacement, go ahead and remove the surrounding trim pieces, to expose the rough framing around the windows, to get exact measurements. Allow 1/2" each direction.
Example: The rough opening is 36-1/2" x 24-1/2" means you get a window 36x24.
Some old windows will not be standard sizes and you might have to customize.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard telling. You would think so, but a lot depends on what sort of window is currently in there. Can't see it so no way to be definite about it. Generally if you have drywall jambs, I would measure drywall to drywall and add about 1 1/4" to account for 1/2" drywall on each side and corner bead... then take those measurements outside and see if that makes sense or not by looking at the existing window and the way it was installed.
Okay, I will check. Thanks for the help. I’ve been mulling this over since the first window I did was too small because the supply company ignored me when I told them the rough opening measurements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ideally, you would measure from one jack stud to the other for the width and from the rough base to the header for the height.
If you 100% ready to proceed with the window replacement, go ahead and remove the surrounding trim pieces, to expose the rough framing around the windows, to get exact measurements. Allow 1/2" each direction.
Example: The rough opening is 36-1/2" x 24-1/2" means you get a window 36x24.
Some old windows will not be standard sizes and you might have to customize.
Interior there is no trim because the windows are shallow, (I hope that’s correct terminology) so interior is a disgusting hard plastic sill and drywall at the sides and top. Outside is aluminum siding

·
Registered
187 Posts
Interior there is no trim because the windows are shallow, (I hope that’s correct terminology) so interior is a disgusting hard plastic sill and drywall at the sides and top. Outside is aluminum siding
so how are you planning on dealing with the siding? Is there brick molding around the windows now? Being the house is siding now a lot more to take into consideration then just measuring the inside rough opening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so how are you planning on dealing with the siding? Is there brick molding around the windows now? Being the house is siding now a lot more to take into consideration then just measuring the inside rough opening.
The porch roof leaves a vertical wall that is only a few inches taller than the windows so I should be able to remove and then replace the siding. There are also three windows on this wall so I want to try and get the measurements correct so I can do the job, (3 windows) in one day.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The porch roof leaves a vertical wall that is only a few inches taller than the windows so I should be able to remove and then replace the siding. There are also three windows on this wall so I want to try and get the measurements correct so I can do the job, (3 windows) in one day.
Right way to go about it then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts