DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello – I’m wondering if someone can help me with where to measure the width for a replacement window. This window is long past due for a replacement and yesterday evening the glass shattered, which is a sign that I have to get on this.

I will be replacing the window myself. I’ve done it a while ago but am getting older and can’t seem to remember how I measured, lol. Everywhere I read indicates that width should be jam to jam. Yet, that measurement is over one inch shorter than when i measure the width of the frame of the window. Perhaps b/c of jam covers? (hopefully it can be seen in one of the pics provided) I’ve attached a couple additional pics to show what i’m talking about. Hopefully my terminology is correct.

If you would let me know what you think, that would be appreciated.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately, I wasn't sure what you meant by the interface of the stop and I hope I understood what you meant by underside of the stool. Here's what I've done. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood your comment.

what i've done in the meantime is removed the trim that covers up the edges of the window. I'll attach a picture here.

Then I measured from edge of the window frame to the other edge of the window frame (where the arrows are). I did that in three places, and the shortest distance (for width) was 51.5 inches.

For height, I took the measurement from the top of the window frame to the highest point on the sill against the back of the stool. the shortest distance was 51 7/8 ".

Please let me know if that makes sense.

If so, would you also mind letting me know if I should reduce by 1/8 or 1/4 inch these measurements when ordering.

Thank you.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.