DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a Maytag Bravos washer that is making an unusual sound during the spin cycle. I’ve searched everywhere to find a video online that matches this sound hoping to diagnose it and can’t find one. Here is a YouTube video I shot that plays the sound mine is making. I suspect it’s a belt but wanted to see if anyone else is familiar with the sound that might be able to confirm for me. I’d appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Sounds like a grinding noise to me. Maybe bad bearing somewhere, either with the tub or transmission.

Spin the agitator/washplate fast by hand and see if it spins freely and smooth without any noise. Post results when done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just lifted the washer and found what appears to be a pile of rubber (?) and what appears to be oil on the housing. Here are pics.

Leg Wood Road surface Cloud Asphalt

Gas Automotive lighting Hood Machine Engineering

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
The oil could be coming from a blown transmission seal/bad bearings. The oil may have all leaked out causing the bearings to fail. The pile of rubber is from the belt wearing out prematurely, probably something to do with the transmission. Just a guess. A tech would need to verify that.

How old is the washer? Any warantee left?

Need model and serial number of washer.

It may be worth a call to maytag to see what your options are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s a MVWX655DW1 (SN C71642817). I think they are closed for the day. Just tried live chatting.

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Sounds good, give them a try tomorrow.

If it is the transmission and belt, that would be about 300 bucks for parts, plus another 350 bucks or so for a tech's labor and tax. Total around 700 bucks or so for a tech to fix it. Unless you diy, then it would just be the cost of parts.

Compare that with the price of a new one. I see them at the box stores go for around 700-800 bucks on sale, regularly price at 1199.

First step would be to call/chat with them, see what your options are. tell them whats going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for all your help! I’m handy enough I can make the repair so I think it still might be worth it. I’ll call tomorrow and will post back once I have it resolved. Thanks again for your help!!

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
You are welcome. Btw, welcome to the forums jason.

@Jasondm1976 According to your serial number, it was made sometime in April of 2017. So you may have a shot.

It's not that old, in April of this year it will be 5 years old. Usually it's only fully warateed for 1 year. But maybe parts are different. Depends on companies' policy. Doesn't hurt to ask though. (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks jmon!! I appreciate the info on the age of the washer. So I decided to tear into the underside of the washer tonight and found the pulley on the bottom of the motor is free spinning (see pic). The plastic teeth inside are gone which I believe is the sound you hear in my video. Unfortunately I can’t find this pulley sold outside of buying a new motor. You wouldn’t happen to know where I can get this pulley? It has a number on the side (800074) but when I do a search I can’t find anything comparable.
Eye Rim Gas Auto part Circle

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

I think this is what your looking for. You can search for clutch kit with your model number. Prices are all over the place

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Other members here have come up with some links that may help, lets hope one of them will work.

Agree, that pulley's a gonner.

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Thanks jmon!! I appreciate the info on the age of the washer. So I decided to tear into the underside of the washer tonight and found the pulley on the bottom of the motor is free spinning (see pic). The plastic teeth inside are gone which I believe is the sound you hear in my video. Unfortunately I can’t find this pulley sold outside of buying a new motor. You wouldn’t happen to know where I can get this pulley? It has a number on the side (800074) but when I do a search I can’t find anything comparable. View attachment 679942
@Jasondm1976 May have to find a cross reference that would work.

This looks like it may work, check out the other pictures at the link. It's an inch high and 2 1/2 inches in diameter. See how close it matches.

Plastic Motor Pulley WP21001108 | Official Whirlpool Part | Fast Shipping | PartSelect

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately it’s a v-groove pulley where mine is flat for 3/4” or so. I priced out a new transmission and motor and was well over $500. I just ordered a new washer for around $699. Price was too close to new to repair it. Thanks a lot for the help!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
You made the right call Jason. (y)

Makes no sense, you are right, you can get a brand new one for that money.

Over 500 dollars just for the parts, and that's if you diy, If you have a tech do it, you can add another 500 - 600 dollars more for labor and tax. Crazy, I know. I've been down that road several times before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You made the right call Jason. (y)

Makes no sense, you are right, you can get a brand new one for that money.

Over 500 dollars just for the parts, and that's if you diy, If you have a tech do it, you can add another 500 - 600 dollars more for labor and tax. Crazy, I know. I've been down that road several times before.
It’s crazy and unfortunate because I could easily fix it. Thanks a lot for your help!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts