DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had my AC charged with 3 lbs of R22 and it cost me $165. The guy was here for about 45 minutes. Online R22 goes for about $226 for a 30lb tank if you only buy 1 - 2 tanks which is about $7.53/lb. My guy said he picks it up for about $100/30lbs=$3.33/lb. Another guy wanted $240 for 3 lbs. How is it reasonable that contractors are making $900 - $1500 profit on a 30lb tank of Freon? I just wish I made that kind of profit on my job!:bangin: Where's my KY?

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
So I just had my AC charged with 3 lbs of R22 and it cost me $165. The guy was here for about 45 minutes. Online R22 goes for about $226 for a 30lb tank if you only buy 1 - 2 tanks which is about $7.53/lb. My guy said he picks it up for about $100/30lbs=$3.33/lb. Another guy wanted $240 for 3 lbs. How is it reasonable that contractors are making $900 - $1500 profit on a 30lb tank of Freon? I just wish I made that kind of profit on my job!:bangin: Where's my KY?
Just the cost of doing business. Insurance, vehicle leasing, inventory, biz taxes etc etc all have to be paid by a contractor. Dominos makes a pizza for a buck or two and sells it for 15 to 20 and we don't complain. HVAC is no different.
http://www.diychatroom.com/blogs/business-vs-diy-158/

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
You are missing a lot in your profit calculation. Maybe better to contemplate that before pulling out the KY.

And of course Yuri says it more eloquently than I.......

·
Not so new
969 Posts
Just the cost of doing business. Insurance, vehicle leasing, inventory, biz taxes etc etc all have to be paid by a contractor. Dominos makes a pizza for a buck or two and sells it for 15 to 20 and we don't complain. HVAC is no different.
http://www.diychatroom.com/blogs/business-vs-diy-158/

....and wages, tools, uniforms, fuel, building morgage and taxes, building maint, electricity, continuing education.....$165 sounds like a bargain.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
I worked for a small 8 man company and saw the REAL costs of doing business from the private owner. Half the time people were bouncing cheques, businesses going bankrupt and stiffing him ( 5-15 cents on a dollar he got from the bankruptcy trustee) etc etc. I could have had my own biz 32 yrs ago but rather like having a paycheck and not dealing with all that. Go to Dominos and offer them 5 bucks for a pizza cuz you can make it for 2 and see what they tell you.:whistling2:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Currant customer cost is $12.54 a pound plus 84 an hour labor plus $20 trip fee and tax. At 45 minutes labor your cost would have been 129.07, pretty darn close to what you paid.
Whoops I forgot yesterday was Saturday. Try $126 for 1 hour minimum and $30 trip fee + tax=$207.17. Looks like you got off cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts