DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

What is the maximum bending radius for 2/0 copper wire?

How about an easy reference chart or calculator? (It seems as though I have seen both online at one time, but can't locate them now.)

Overall, I am adding a sub-panel to accommodate AFCI circuit breakers, as the primary one is maxed out with thin style breakers. This is partially due to a remodel, but I am also taking the opportunity to upgrade to this protection (no comments please). In preparing for the project, I happened to see some pretty sharp bends in the original 2/0 cable coming out of the meter side of the exterior box (see attached) installed about a decade ago.

BTW, this new GE PowerMark sub-panel will use a GE 200 amp double-pole clipin feed-thru lug (THLK2200) that isn't seen that often. No breaker switch. It will be a clean installation with this.

Peace,
Dr. Z.

Attachments

·
Licensed electrician
13,387 Posts
There is no maximum. You are limited by the size of the enclosure.

·
Registered
951 Posts
From a practical non-qualified DIY'er, it would seem a once bent wire put into service for life of service should be ok compared to bending it multiple times, possibly weakening it each time or reusing it for another application.

Joke, not at anyone's expense of course:
When Dilbert's pointy haired boss complained that his computer seemed to be running slower than previously, sharp witted Dilbert pointed out the problem.
"Your cable is bent. Since electronic data is a series of 1's and 0's, the round 0's have no problem moving along but the sharp and pointy 1's get caught and pile up in the bends. Keep your cable straight to correct the problem."

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you mean minimum, not maximum???
I mean the tightest radius that the wire can be bent per code. Apparently I now see that this is referred to the minimum radius (although that seems backwards to me). As you can see by my photo, some of the 2/0 cable was bent almost to a 90 degree corner without a gradual curve in the original electrical service installation to my home.

Yes, I briefly reviewed 2014 NEC Articles 300.34, 330.24 and 336 before my eyes went glassy. I would have to gather data and calculate it for an exact answer with the formula provided. Overall, I am just looking for a good generalization or rule of thumb to go by.

The bottom line is that I don't plan to bend any of the downstream 2./0 wire as much as is shown and I want it to me safe. HA, I also want to pass an eventual inspection.

Peace,
Dr. Z.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts