DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had some water damage in the bathroom above our den and about 1/4 of the ceiling was removed. I have replace the ceiling drywall and now need to texture the ceiling where it was damaged.

I am not sure what texture was used on the ceiling. I would like to match the same texture so it matches the rest of the house. I would also like to blend it in so I do not have to re-do the whole ceiling.

Can anyone tell me what texture this is and how I can reproduce it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,815 Posts
It looks to be a version of sunburst that got "antiqued" (flattened down after stomping). You will have to experiment on some scrap to try to get a close match. You will also have to work with various watered down mixes of joint compound to get just the right consistency. Pics below show a stomping brush. 2nd pic shows the "stomp." You would be flattening the high points of the stomp........

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yup. Probably a rosebud/sunburst that was flattened. I've never done this pattern but I've done others and to flatten it, I take a wide taping knife and drag it over the mud at a low angle. Takes a little practice but not much.

·
retired painter
9,916 Posts
I doubt you could replicate that texture with a roller. Where the repair is it in relationship to the rest of the ceiling can play a part in how well the texture must match in order to blend well. As mentioned above it's not overly difficult and if it doesn't come out right it's not a big deal to sand down [or scrape off while wet] and try again.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I got my Kraft Tool Co. catalog out and on page 126 TEXTURE ROLLERS there are two ( 2 ) patterns that come very close to that texture. top Left Crows foot & lower Left Poinsettia.
Also to match the existing you can use a product for mould making ( Rub-R - Mold ) it is a latex rubber applied by brush over the area you would like to duplicate select the area apply mould making material this will take many coats say 4 per day for 3 days to build a mould about 5/16 inch thickness remove mould & cut to fit a plastering HAWK of size selected adhere to Hawk use to apply texture you will have to roll Hawk say from heel to toe, or make your own roller from the mould.
When the cost of the above exceeds the cost to skim & retexture problem solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts