DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 3'x3' square that I need to throw some sheetrock in and then texture to match the surrounding sheetrock. I have a hopper gun and compressor and have textured new walls with it and it came out alright, but i'm skeptical about texturing the patch with the surrounding sheetrock already having knockdown on it. Whats the best way (if you know any videos please share) to get the texture to match to the point where its hard to notice once painted. Should I sand the edges of the old textured sheetrock before i tape and retexture? And should i just spray the whole patch with the hopper or should I try a sponge (keep in mind i have never used one before.)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have had good luck matching texture by doing sort of a 'primer' coat on the new patch with the finest orange peel you can possibly get (lots of air, small orifice, barely touch the trigger) Wait for that to dry and do your knockdown on top of that feathered into the old texture a ways. Then, I take a wet sponge, and clean the very edge of the new texture, as the edges get a little "sugary" which stands out more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take you texture as far out as possible, not just the 3x3 area. You will need to repaint more, but you will blend better. Best if you can take the texture to the edge of a wall - corner, ceiling, etc. Definitely helps the new texture disappear.

·
retired painter
10,013 Posts
IMO knockdown texture is the hardest texture to match/blend. How thick/thin the texture is mixed plays a part along with how long/soon before it's knocked down. The good news is it's not rocket science and if it doesn't come out right it's not a big deal to sand it down and try again.

·
Drywall and Painting Pro
977 Posts
I've had good luck matching knockdown texture on small drywall patches with the knockdown texture sponge. It enables you to easily blend out the texture into the existing texture.

With a hopper it's hard not to pile up toO much texture right where the texture and the patch intersect. Then when you knock it down it flattens out because there is too much material built up from trying to blend.

Here's a couple of videos I put together:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts