DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had pipe leak behind our bathroom walls (bathrooms are adjacent to each other) and so we had to take out drywall in both bathrooms to dry it out.
I measured the drywall thickness in one bathroom and it was 1/2", so I assumed that both bathrooms had the same thickness for drywall. :vs_no_no_no:
I bought the 1/2" drywall and we installed it in one bathroom, only to realize that the existing drywall in that bathroom is actually 5/8" thick.
My husband doesn't want to take it out and redo it with the correct thickness, and says we can just put mud on it to make it work.
I want to take it out and redo it.
Is it even possible to make it look okay without putting in the 5/8" drywall?
He says that it won't show that much because it is a small bathroom and most of the drywall is behind the toilet. I don't agree. We need an expert's opinion. :smile:
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
I am no expert, just a DIYer.

So its not even taped yet ? This guy on the internet says your husband should rip it out and replace it. Its just a freakin piece of drywall. Not like he has to rebuild the house.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Every time hubby is on the think tank, he will be thinking about the mismatched drywall behind him. It will take more time and effort to mud the 1/8" difference than remove and replace. In a pinch, you could always put a 1/8" shim on the studs, like a line of paint stirs to shim it out, but in the long run, its best to replace.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
How big are we talking about here? Picture? Floating out could take longer than replacing and doing right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I showed him your responses and it was enough to help him decide to redo it. it's only maybe a 2'x8' section anyway. We'll just consider what we already did a trial run...

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I showed him your responses and it was enough to help him decide to redo it. it's only maybe a 2'x8' section anyway. We'll just consider what we already did a trial run...
I'm sure his life is going to be much easier now!:devil3:

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
A trip to HD.... drywall shims are 4' long and cost a dime.... unscew the piece in there and three shims bring it flush.

Your cost.... about $2 and a trip to depot.

That could be mudded/floated out... but you'll either be mixing hot mud, waiting several days for all purpose to harden, with several applications.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip about the shims. That's what we ended up doing. Really easy, cheap and not too much hassle for anyone involved. We're all happy now. :) :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts