DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished spraying my ceilings with paint yesterday. I'm going to spray my walls next.

Can I mask the ceiling with frog tape or delicate 3m blue tape along with a 12" sheet of brown paper? Will the 12" provide enough coverage on the ceiling to protect from overspray. I'm using the 3M tape masker tool.

Both the ceiling and the walls are white.

Going with eggshell on the walls.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
You messed up. If you insist on spraying your walls, do them first, then drape them and spray the ceiling afterwards.

Blue tape doesnt stick very well. You're gonna have a ***** of a time masking. You're better off with a brush and roller.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
woodco; said:
You messed up. If you insist on spraying your walls, do them first, then drape them and spray the ceiling afterwards.

Blue tape doesnt stick very well. You're gonna have a ***** of a time masking. You're better off with a brush and roller.
darn, didn't think about how tough masking the ceiling is going to be!

I only did half the place so far, so the next half your advice will be heeded.

But for the half where I painted the ceiling already ---> IF masking the ceiling proves to be too difficult, I'll spray the walls and repaint the ceiling.

Thank you.

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
I always spray the ceiling first and then use a spray shield on the top of the wall .... or I'll cut it in first and then spray and back roll [better method]

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
I don't think I've ever used a spray shield with an extension handle. I suspect the extra reach might make it harder to handle. I have several spray shields [24",36",48"] and find them quite handy although after a few hrs using them it seems like they get pretty heavy. Holding something over your head repeatedly for any length of time is harder than you'd think. If I was spraying your walls using a shield I'd be working off of a stepladder.

Don't forget to clean the shield as often as needed so you don't transfer paint from it unto the ceiling.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Another method is to skip the shieild and the masking, and spray only to about two bfeet or so below the ceiling and backroll it the rest of the way, then come back and cut it in afterwards. You HAVE to aim your spray fan downward, or you will waste the ceiling!!!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point on holding a shield up for a long time.

I’m going to attempt to mask the ceiling with the yellow frog tape with paper.

Any thoughts on using flat vs eggshell sheen on the walls? They are fairly smooth so I’m not worried about imperfections.

I know eggshell is more durable and more cleanable than flat.

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
I almost always use eggshell/satin on the walls of my house. After the kids left home I switched to flat ..... and along came a grandson. Often eggshell/satin will look better longer than flat latex will.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mark sr; said:
I almost always use eggshell/satin on the walls of my house. After the kids left home I switched to flat ..... and along came a grandson. Often eggshell/satin will look better longer than flat latex will.

Done deal. Thanks Mark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts