DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

Trying to find a solution and stumbled across this website and thought to ask your all opinion to my problem

The tile guy did not do the right thing and his insurance is not covering his mess.

Tile: Crème Marfel Marble 18x18 (resin backed tile)

Areas: Foyer/dining room and the hallway (approx. 800 sq/ft)
Floor: Wood subfloor with single 3/8th OSB :vs_mad:
Floor Prep: Ditra with unmodified thin-set underneath the tile (did not use epoxy based thin set)

Problem: mainly grout cracking and few lose tiles. When we removed few tiles, there was nothing on the back of the tiles, they were clean

House: we just built this house

Floor Joists: 16 OC

Question:

I know I would have to use the right thin-set (epoxy based) and for that, I would have to take the tiles off but is there anything I can do to avoid removing the ditra and adding a second layer of plywood?

Can I strengthen the sub-floor from the bottom I,e the basement ceiling?

If I do have to remove the ditra, can I do concrete board instead and install marble on top of that, the tile store says YES?

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Jello Wrangler
495 Posts
Your floor deflection needs to be L/720 or greater for natural stone. That's probably your main problem. So you most likely you need to beef up the floor system.

It also sounds like you have an adhesion issue. Tiles that come up clean are usually a sign that the thin set skimmed over before the setter set the tiles. Expect more to come. I would start by testing the tiles adjacent to the ones that came up and then pull up any that are loose or in danger of coming loose.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
First red flag is "only 3/8 subfloor" I'm not there to see it but I highly doubt that's what it is.
If that's all there was you would be falling through it.
Sure there's not 3/4 then a layer of 3/8 as an underlayment?
What size are the floor joist and what's the free unsupport span?

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Very little in this thread seems right, we need you to double check, esp. the thickness of the subfloor and also tell us if there's a second layer of ply or OSB over the subfloor. We also need to know how the framing in built.

Tell us the qualifications and experience of your tile guy. Is he a tile setter, licensed? Insurance? Since when would insurance cover something like this?

Jaz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.