DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a few threads on, but this is a different one, I'm deciding on making a cd rack, nothing special, as I can't get the right size, so look on amazon and other places and prices are horrendus for what I'm looking for, soo I think, lets go out get some wood,

4 pieces of lumber, 2x 6x5x1 (for the outside) and 2 similar size but 6" for the rungs, making a ladder looking like case, divded by 5 rungs at about 16"
perfect, get the lumber, start cutting

screw up 1, Jig saw not ideal for cutting and matching the "rungs" , so instead of nice straight ends I get wavy lines, I did cut along the lines, but stil
so come to assembling it, which is great fun on your own drilling pilot holes screwing screws, so do one side, ok, but now the other side wont fit, because the ends are all not the right size, in sp far as I've got them wonky,

So look at ways to get them straight, plane, or buy a belt sander, but I also need a vice and belts and all this kinda crap, total it up, same as just going and getting another couple of pieces and havig Home depot cut them up.

So I go to homedepot and pick up the wrong size lumber, they cut it up I go home and wonrg size, DAMN

So then I take a sample go back see the same dude, then realise I told him 12" and not 16" so we begin measuring, double checking
So he cuts 2 boards with his table saw all to 16" BUT there all not the same size, when you stack them some are shorter than others,
by a very small amount, but still it's going to have a problem,

So he puts them all together and tries to shave off all to the same size, wont do it, so I say, ok, take an inch off. Boom

Have to now try a reassemble later but this project is not as cheap as it sounded or as easy.

HATS off to you carpenters man, you make it look so easy !

I don't do this all the time and I don't have all the special tools,

What I don't understand, is if HD guy cut all to 16", how come out of the 6 pieces 3 or 4 were there wrong size, either a shade too long or too short

I guess if I did it at home I would plane them so they would be all the same size

· retired framer
72,447 Posts
When you build lots of that stuff you learn to think jigs for cutting and assembling.
When you cut to length you measure once and clamp something to the saw table, and then you can cut any number of them all the same size.
If you are adding shelves figure the distance between shelves. Cut a block that size and use the same block to assemble all the shelves. If you started at the bottom, start from the bottom for the other side.
Any time you are repeating things that need perfection, figure some trick or jig that will help with that.

· Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a very old skool DJ, my 1200's denon, dual cd, sony minidsic :)
1.2k Peaveyand hisys 2's

Thanks, wasted a ton of money but learnt a "LOT", I have a lot of expensive scrap wood now LOL

Thanks for the wishes !

Maybe CD’s are to some, like vinyl is to others? No judgement- I’m still listening to 8 track! 🙂

Edit: OP- good on you for taking on the project and best wishes for a successful outcome!

Scott

· Registered
8,013 Posts
I don't do this all the time and I don't have all the special tools,
Did I ever tell you about my $1,000 business card holder? Many years ago mama goes to a craft show, comes back and says “look what i bought for you!” It was a little wood business card holder, walnut probably, a simple U-shaped thing. I said thats nice, but there's 50 cents of scrap wood there and even I could do that. Show me, she said. At the time in think i owned a 1/4” B&D drill, a tape measure, a hammer and a bunch of wrenches.

· Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well damn if I finished it, The key part was all rungs being same length and true, measured, double checked and made sure the assembly was square.
This time in stead of working on one side at a time, I put the top rung and then the bottom rung, that way nothing moved and it all stayed true, so it was smooth sailing
then on, I kept measuring and double checking.
As said it's a simple project even simpler when you know how ;) cost too much money, but the learning experience was 100%.
There are multiple things I could have improved, countersunk the holes, but this is going to be in a dark party room, so a few coats of paint will cover up a lot of stuff.
I may actually put a bottom rung and then move it up and mount it higher than on the floor that way I can get better access to the bottom,
The table is going to be my DJ table, housing the1200 and cd's laptop etc, CD on the left and on the right my records.
A lot still to do as well as decorating.

· Usually Confused
10,896 Posts
So he cuts 2 boards with his table saw all to 16" BUT there all not the same size, when you stack them some are shorter than others,
What I don't understand, is if HD guy cut all to 16", how come out of the 6 pieces 3 or 4 were there wrong size, either a shade too long or too short
Without seeing how he did it, it's hard to tell. How he measured or set up, how careful he was, how the saw was set up, etc. Quite frankly, I've never seen table saw service at HD - I though they only did panel saw cuts and wasn't even sure they did that anymore.

· Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, your quite right, last time, many years ago, the HD near me said the same thing, they said, it's a get you home service, any more than 2 cuts and we charge by the cut,
I thought I'd risk it, The guy I dealt with was awesome, never said anything. Mind you I spent 40 bucks on a 6ft oak plank which I ruined and then another 40 one 2 smaller non oaks, so over 80 today, and on the other screw ups was another 80 or so, including hardware screws, mountings etc project cost me around 250-300 (Tax)
So letting me have a few cuts I guess was paid for :) I did a good review on them and told the manager how awesome he was.

I did 3 trips to HD today and it was snowing, and it was a 10k drive each way (so 60km's today just for this stupid project),
((the one up my road is not as friendly and they ran out of the lumber I needed))

Yeah really weird, he measured them afterwards, he was saying "there, hmm, 16" but then stacked them up and you could see they where all marginally off

Without seeing how he did it, it's hard to tell. How he measured or set up, how careful he was, how the saw was set up, etc. Quite frankly, I've never seen table saw service at HD - I though they only did panel saw cuts and wasn't even sure they did that anymore.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
An old adage in IT:

Backups are never important - until you need them.
The way I heard it was:

Blessed are the pessimists, for they shall have made backups.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts