DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Good timing, I have a frozen ham I was just going to bring up and steal a few ham steaks off of. What is left goes for sandwiches and or pea soup.

My soup is usually just carrots and onions plus some seasoning but like the looks of that pot. Recipe please as mine can always be better.

Bud

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look in the pot...to one bag of goya peas add

a carrot cut in 4 pcs.( after the soup cooks take it out mash it and put back)
chopped celery tops
one celery chopped
one chopped onion.
Two cloves of garlic ( again, after it cooks mash it up and put it back)
a teaspoon of thyme
a teaspoon rosemary
a teaspoon sage
Salt (generously to taste- peas soup needs a lot of salt)
black pepper
Some chopped fried bacon + the bacon fat
9 cups of water

Put in pressure cooker, after it comes to a boil, lower the flame
to a low gentle rock and cook for about 25 minutes...

I made it for lunch, we’ll have it again tonight, but will have to
add a little water cause it thickens up.

BTW...this is the same recipe I use for bean soup, especially navy
bean soup.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know how to make pea soup but you're supposed to post the recipe for your version.
and what’s your version?
Do you put thyme and sage in it? It’s a must...Ya know, even
when I make it with a ham bone - I add the bacon and fat.
another layer of flavor - as you always say. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
and what’s your version?
Much like yours only not rosemary or sage and I use homemade chicken stock. I've never found that with dried rosemary I could get any suggestion of it in what ever was being cooked. I have fresh rosemary available in my yard most of the year and the same thing applies. Frustrating actually. I can taste sage.

Reactions: Startingover

·
Registered
764 Posts
I made the split pea soup with some minor changes.

I made this in a pot on the stove, cut the water in half, used 1 cup split peas, used them whole in the soup, used 4 long slices of bacon, 1 sausage link quartered cut in slices, I made sure there was enough vegetables so I increased them, used little bit of paprika instead of black pepper, used fresh rosemary, rest is the same.

The consistency was perfect, the taste was good, strong sausage taste, I couldn't taste the bacon, I would have preferred a bacon taste over the sausage taste, it was good soup, a pleasure to eat, took an hour from the beginning of prep to table.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good for you ...next time try thyme and sage. The thyme adds a good taste to the soup.
We had the lentil soup for lunch today, it was even better than yesterday. :giggle:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Here is a recipe for pea soup the way we cook it in Germany. It's very easy.
Ohne Zutatenliste ist das kein Rezept!

I like the idea of smoked chicken in pea soup. But my wife is vegetarian so I've resorted to using an interesting alternative: celery root (celeriac). It doesn't impart a smoky flavor, but it does make the soup far more interesting-tasting than a pea soup without meat. Basically use whatever recipe you want, but instead of meat, peel a celery root (making sure to remove all the tiny "hairs" of tough fiber that permeate the outer part of the root), dice it, and toss it in with the onions, celery, etc.

Full disclosure: my wife doesn't like this either, but at least she'll eat it. I love it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts