DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m in Japan and can’t find any info on specific thinset for my Kerdi membrane install. Most of the stuff here seems modified and the transition gets words like “resin” and “latex” the latex I understand. But I think they’re both the same. Can I make my own thinset for Kerdi membrane and what should I use?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,791 Posts

Above johnbridges.com and there's flooringpro.com as well. This forum also has flooring and masonry sections. Mason mix was used before there was packaged thinset and thinset is sticky and that means more portland cement than other aggregates like sand. Also check mike haduck at youtube for using portland cement. I used straight mason mix (store bought cement and sand) for outside slate floor install with success and I didn't know what I was doing at the time. About 6-7 tiles came loose out of about 100 after about 10 years. Backbuttering the back of the tile also adds to bonding for wall and floor tiles.
Resin, latex, admix are all same for tiling, I think. I add some admix into the thinset. Though I just mix them by "feel", I'm not an expert and you should follow the instruction. If I'm using a quart of water, I add about half a cup of admix?
You can use modified thinset universally. I think regular thinset is cheaper only and does not mean it must be used for specific situation. Modified means it will be bit more flexible. If going over wood, wood should be sealed first so water doesn't get suck away too fast. Factory instruction may not say it but it is a good sense. Confirm with other sites.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Above johnbridges.com and there's flooringpro.com as well. This forum also has flooring and masonry sections. Mason mix was used before there was packaged thinset and thinset is sticky and that means more portland cement than other aggregates like sand. Also check mike haduck at youtube for using portland cement. I used straight mason mix (store bought cement and sand) for outside slate floor install with success and I didn't know what I was doing at the time. About 6-7 tiles came loose out of about 100 after about 10 years. Backbuttering the back of the tile also adds to bonding for wall and floor tiles.
Resin, latex, admix are all same for tiling, I think. I add some admix into the thinset. Though I just mix them by "feel", I'm not an expert and you should follow the instruction. If I'm using a quart of water, I add about half a cup of admix?
You can use modified thinset universally. I think regular thinset is cheaper only and does not mean it must be used for specific situation. Modified means it will be bit more flexible. If going over wood, wood should be sealed first so water doesn't get suck away too fast. Factory instruction may not say it but it is a good sense. Confirm with other sites.
Wow that’s some good information thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

By the way, did you know the professional baseball team in Hiroshima is called the Hiroshima Carp?

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Creating a name for internet, I was thinking carpenter dad, though much later, and after carp problem along mississippi, it occured people may think I like carp.:) BTW, I assumed, but not hiroshima carpenters?
Kerdi sheets, I don't know why unmodified thinset would be preferred (or modified absolutely banned). Another way to ask is: is modified thinset compatible with kerdi? or such.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You wrote that you were using Kerdi, so you're saying that it's a different type of Kerdi that's sold in the rest of the world?
sorry, I was only referring to the thinset manufacturers, not the Kerdi membrane.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts

Curious myself. So there is a reason. Either replace kerdi with something else or search further for self made thinset. Check kerdi website for other options. USA has many choices that maybe the kerdi itself assumes all things will be available, but it may have recommendations when thinset is not. Also ask other forums about thinset. Not a mason but thinset felt it has finer sand than masons or sand mix? Using more cement (portland is another name) makes the mix more sticky and stronger (mike haduck-youtube). If mixing your own, consistency would be important. Mix in small batches and always measure.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts

Another excellent presentation. I searched with "installing kerdi membrane without thinset". Looks like the key is that the adhesive should cure without air - needing air or offgassing. That eliminates easy to use mastics.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I might guess that the specification of unmodified thinset for the kerdi install simple means you don't need the extra expense for a modified thinset.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts