DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to put a wood deck over my backyard patio. It isn't feasible to remove the old concrete. What kind of tool and method should I use to put holes in the concrete to mount to supports for the wooden deck?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I am about to put a wood deck over my backyard patio. It isn't feasible to remove the old concrete. What kind of tool and method should I use to put holes in the concrete to mount to supports for the wooden deck?
Generally a patio slab isn't adequate support for a deck. You would need to open the slab and pour footings below the frost line. If your area requires permits, the inspector will want to see holes dug that deep before you pour the footings.
Post your location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally a patio slab isn't adequate support for a deck. You would need to open the slab and pour footings below the frost line. If your area requires permits, the inspector will want to see holes dug that deep before you pour the footings.
Post your location.
I live in Kitsap County, WA. Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
did this on our 2nd home in upstate ny where frostline was typically 3'6",,, the deck was only 8" high over the existing conc patio,,, could have removed the conc but didn't feel like it,,, gravity kept the new wood deck in place, the frost didn't heave it, the bldg inspector had no complaints since it wasn't attached to the house NOR on conc supports,,, assessors didn't raise the property's assessed valuation, either, therefore no increase in taxes :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Change of heart

Now I am thinking about doing a floating foundation deck system from deckplans.com. What do you think about that idea? It seems pretty easy and quite a bit cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts