DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make some back steps for my house. The stairs are for a door that would only be used during a fire or emergency so they don't need to be too fancy. They need to be about two and a half feet wide by two and a half feet tall. Now I'm not sure if I should go with wood or some sort of large stone/brick. I've seen some large gray stone... brick looking things for garden landscaping at Menard's and wonder if I could use those with some mortar to make some easy, affordable steps.

Any tips would be appreciated

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
You could but that would not be a cheap way to go. Easier would be pressure treated lumber and pre-built stair risers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As these are emergency egress stairs, I think code applies.
http://www.stairways.org/codes_standards.htm
It looks intense for such a simple task. Maybe you should ask a code guru regarding the easiest and cheapest egress that will only be used in an emergency from a height of 2.5 feet. Maybe a ladder or slide or pile of gravel will do it. You should also tell them whether this is a deck that drops down 2.5 feet or a door that opens to a drop. I like the pile of gravel but I think there is a slope regulation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts