DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make a wooden counter top for a friend. It will be approx. 3' x 4'. She wants it made for 3/4" Oak. The material she has supplied is 6" wide boards. I ripped them in half and made 3" wide boards. I have planed and joined all the faces. I am ready to glue the wood together and am wondering if I should be using biscuit? If so how many and what size?

I am not a wood worker and am just doing what I think is correct. So if there is a better way to join them please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
is this for a kitchen? I wouldnt think oak would be the best choice for a kitchen counter.
the biscuits help align the pieces, they used to just glue and clamp before they had biscuits.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. Since I am doing this as a favour I am not too concerned with the application but I am more interested in the process of joining multiple pieces of wood to produce a larger slab.

Basicly, would you just glue the pieces of wood together or use biscuits or another method?

Thanks

·
6,520 Posts
Biscuits aid in alignment but will not add much strength to an edge-glued joint.

I would strongly suggest using Titebond III or a similar waterproof glue. With proper glue application and correct clamping pressure, the glue joint will be stronger than the wood itself.

Oak is a poor choice for a countertop if food preparation will occur on it. The open grain will easily harbor bacteria and will be a real challenge to clean. Hopefully you're going to be using bar-top epoxy on it or something similar to seal it up as opposed to mineral oil butcher block finish.

·
old guy contractor
872 Posts
I am ready to glue the wood together and am wondering if I should be using biscuit? If so how many and what size?
Are you making this 3'x4' x 3" thick?

Biscuiting is for alignment. A solid glue joint (done properly)is stronger than a biscuit.
If you're going to biscuit, use a #20.

I would alternate your growth rings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts