DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out from the city and a plumber that my main line to the sewer for one does not have a 2 way clean out on my property and also the main line runs through the back of my yard and through the neighbors yard and into the neighboring cul-da-sacs man hole. What is there to be done in this situation? we are already in the process of putting a clean out in our own yard, but the clog that we have (which was discovered using a camera by a plumber) is in the neighbors yard. Does the city have to take care of that or do we?

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
You are probably responsible for the pipe all the way to the manhole in the street or cul de sac. Or perhaps just to the curb of that cul de sac. You problably have an eassement across your neighbor's land where the pipe runs, check your deed. The easement means that if you need to dig up the pipe, you may do so and not be responsible for replanting or restoring the land other than to fill it in and smooth it out.

Your neighbor is not responsible for unclogging the pipe unless he shares it or he broke it by driving a heavy truck across.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would have said Sucks t be you but with the advances in Pipe lining and Pipe bursting you still have options that could allow you to replace the Pipe with out digging up the Property. If you have a Mr Rooter in your area they usually can do both of these methods. Is there a reason you can not get to clog from inside the House? Is Jetting an option?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
In some jurisdictions the city is responsible at the property line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts