DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing luxury vinyl flooring that will bump up against an existing 3/4" hardwood floor. We would like to go with a click-lock floating floor, but don't want a transition strip between the two types of flooring. I'll build up the subfloor so that the vinyl is at the same height as the wood. Can this be done without a t-molding or other transition strip? I had a guy in a flooring shop tell me I could float the whole floor but glue down the strip that is adjacent to the wood, but that doesn't sound right. If it matters the two floors will meet along a 13 foot straight run.
I understand that a full glue down floor would be best for this; just trying to see if a floating floor is feasible.
Thanks!

·
Naildriver
10,658 Posts
If the floor will float, as most click locks do, no you cannot capture an edge without disastrous effects on the floor. If you choose glue down, then you can up-taper your vinyl by using a build up method like 15 lb. felt in layers or SLC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I can get the two floors to the same plane. I'm trying to get it so there's no t-molding between the two. I've seen it done where ceramic tile meets wood and it looks real nice. Has anyone ever used this product? https://shawfloors.com/flooring/vinyl/details/watercolor-sa388/curry
It's a click-lock floating floor. The installation instructions say to butt it up tight to the walls and if that isn't possible, to glue the edge that doesn't hit the wall. From the installation manual: "The planks must be installed tight against the walls throughout the entire installation (if this cannot be achieved use an approved lvt adhesive or a suitable DS/PS tape.)"
So would this enable me to butt the floating vinyl up against the wood and just glue down that edge so it doesn't lift or move?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts