DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I realize this may be a dumb question to people who are used to ordering lumber. I recently ordered and had delivered 70 boards of 1x6 8 foot select interior finish grade pine for a coffered ceiling I'm working on, $14 a board. About 6-9 of the boards aren't usable because of things like jointer gouging or crooks. Is it wrong for me to take these boards back to the lumber store and exchange them, or are defects like that considered par for the course? At $14 a board for their highest grade of trim pine, I'd prefer not to just scrap them as long as they won't look at me funny for trying to swap them out.

Thanks,

Austin

· retired framer
72,090 Posts
Hey all,
I realize this may be a dumb question to people who are used to ordering lumber. I recently ordered and had delivered 70 boards of 1x6 8 foot select interior finish grade pine for a coffered ceiling I'm working on, $14 a board. About 6-9 of the boards aren't usable because of things like jointer gouging or crooks. Is it wrong for me to take these boards back to the lumber store and exchange them, or are defects like that considered par for the course? At $14 a board for their highest grade of trim pine, I'd prefer not to just scrap them as long as they won't look at me funny for trying to swap them out.

Thanks,

Austin
You bought the best grade and some are not, why should you deal with that. They can change the grade and throw them in another bin or return them to their suppliers.

· Registered
8,100 Posts
You ordered good stuff. They selected and delivered crap. Return it and tell them it was substandard.

Reactions: demonical

· retired painter
14,765 Posts
I used to paint for one builder that routinely called the lumber yard and made them come out and exchange lumber that he deemed unfit to use on his houses. Unless you trade a lot with the supplier you'd likely have to bring them in to exchange yourself - but there shouldn't be any issues getting a refund or exchange.

· Registered
14,925 Posts
I always allow for some bad/poor boards, say 10% and your 6-9 pretty much falls into that range. I don't expect my lumber yard to inspect every board like I will if needed, but on the other hand a special order like this I would expect them to take some returns. If you needed 70 you should have ordered 80 and told them up front the excess will be coming back. That keeps your job rolling and if that is a problem you discuss it in advance.

They have the means to handle returning those and I don't see them getting upset.

Bud

Reactions: demonical

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I wasn't expecting the yard to inspect each piece and don't expect them to pick it up. I can easily throw them into my Jeep and just drive them back. I didn't order excess since I was trying to hold out for them getting some longer lengths back in stock and picked these just to get the bulk of the work done. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.