DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
retired framer
39,819 Posts
I've been saving my pennies for the last three years in order to buy materials to build a cabin in the mountains when I retire this coming May. Lumber has more than doubled since March of this year so I no longer have enough money saved to build. There is only one way to solve this issues and that is for everyone not to buy any lumber, at all. As stated in earlier comments, there's no reason for prices to come down if people are willing to pay theses prices now. And they will pay these prices because interest rates are so low. And the industry knows that. They know about the low interest rates and the publics restlessness to build and build now while the rates are so low.

There are no less than four houses that have been built in the last few months in my area and all those houses are within a mile of each other. There is no lumber shortage! The lumber industry and retailers are relying on the low interest rates to bait people into building so they raised the prices for that fact, and call it a shortage to justify the increased prices. The shelves are full of lumber at both Lowes and Home depot and there's always a line of people wheeling lumber out to their trucks whenever I go there. I shake my head at the damn fools. Because as long as they're willing to pay these prices, the prices will stay up or even go higher yet.

But maybe those people are unaware that the price of lumber has more that doubled. Maybe this is the first project they have ever undertaken in their life and don't know what they are doing for the industry, and old folks like me who were relying on a stable market to get by. What we need to do, what I am going to try to do, is get the word out about the market and how prices are way up and that the only way to get it to go back down is to not pay these prices. If nobody is buying lumber the price has to come down. Nobody is going to buy my car for $2,000.00 if it's only worth $100.00. I would be forced to lower the price if I want to sell it.

So I start here in an effort to try to talk y'all into not buying any lumber, at all, until the price comes back down to an affordable level. A pre-pandemic level anyway. Or don't y'all care either and will just pay the price without a fight? I'm asking this community to come up with ways to get the word out nationwide to educate the public and start a movement in order to force the industry to lower their prices. And all it would take is for people to stop buying lumber for a few months. Any lumber! All lumber! That should do it. So if you tell all of your friends to stop buying lumber, and they tell all their friends, and their friends... Bam! I can build my house in May as planned. Selfish aren't I? :) What say ye DIY Chatroom community? I'm heading over to facebook right now. Then to a blog. Then I think I'll picket Home Depot and Lowes. ...A cord of three strands is not quickly broken...
Take advantage for any reason that comes along. Seems to be the normal for a lot of businesses.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
There are no less than four houses that have been built in the last few months in my area and all those houses are within a mile of each other. There is no lumber shortage!
The fact that four houses have been built within a mile of each other is not indicative of an issue (or not) in the lumber supply.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ve got myself in a pickle with my schedule for renovating an old house. I need to buy 1800 sf of underlayment 1/2” plywood or osb but I also need to wait a while and see if prices creep down. Any predictions about where plywood/osb prices are headed? If I can save a few hundred bucks by waiting a few months I will.
Thanks for all the replies. My best guess is we have to wait for the next recession for prices to drop. Figured I’d report back that I brought a floor installer over to take a look. He recommended 1/2” plywood underlayment so that is what I will do. Probably will buy a van load in a neighboring state to save the sales tax (10 1/2% where I am).

21 - 23 of 23 Posts