DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the concrete block (shown in the attached picture) used as cap on top of the garden wall with some wood looking material.

I think 2x6 would be a good size. Since there will be no traffic in the area, I am thinking to use construction/landscaping adhesive without anchoring to the concrete wall. Selecting material is the hard part where I need expert's recommendation.

1) hard wood (redwood or cedar)
Pros - real wood, low cost
Cons - high maintenance (need to seal every year), wood can warp or rot.
Question: is it ok to attach wood directly on concrete without sleepers? Will it warp or rot because of moisture in the concrete?

2) Trex square edge deck board
Pros - wood looking, low maintenance
Cons - I can't find a local dealer. Online shop asks $400 for shipping.
Question: I know composite is durable material but is it still ok to attach it directly on concrete without sleepers?

3) plastic (PVC) lumber
Pros - maintenance free (it's plastic!)
Cons - doesn't look like real wood. Probably will re-paint it with wood grain paint kit for doors.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't realize the cigarette butts would draw people's attention. That used to be my smoking spot but I don't smoke anymore. I am going to get rid of mulch (and the butts) and lay gravel. I think concrete blocks are too plain, it's a brick house and everything is grey stone color. I am also putting new siding on gable, it's wood looking cement fiber so I think matching wood color for the garden wall cap would look nice together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.