DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi DIYers!

Over the weekend I have discovered and fix certain issues with one of my sprinkler zone. But to my surprise the underground piping have two different size -Main 3/4 inch and connector 1/2 inch! This however is causing some issue with the water pressure on the 1/2 inch side.

Do you recommend digging up and replace the 1/2 inch side even though it's working at about 60% pressure?

The zone overall is working at about 70% pressure. THX!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Reducing 3/4 inch to branch line 1/2 inch is common and an established practice. Can you get to the end of your line and install a pressure gauge ?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
On my system, they come off the solenoid valve with a 1 inch main, and then tee off of it with 1/2" or 5/8" lines x about 2 feet long.
Lot easier to position a head with a half inch line than a head with a 1" line.

Sounds more like you have a problem with flow than with pressure. Do you have less flow now than you used to have ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my system, they come off the solenoid valve with a 1 inch main, and then tee off of it with 1/2" or 5/8" lines x about 2 feet long.
Lot easier to position a head with a half inch line than a head with a 1" line.

Sounds more like you have a problem with flow than with pressure. Do you have less flow now than you used to have ?
I have more flow now since I fixed a small break, but the sprinklers head are only up about half way. Not sure where to even look now.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I have more flow now since I fixed a small break, but the sprinklers head are only up about half way. Not sure where to even look now.
Did that zone ever spray properly ?

Is only one zone that does not spray properly, or all zones?

One time had contractors working at my place. The one guy hit the bulls eye with one of his batter board stakes. Nobody noticed until the day I decided to run the sprinkles. Contractors screwed around for a few hours trying to find the problem, finally called their irrigation guys. He took a few steps, pointed down and said "there is a break in the line right here". He could feel the soft ground. He had it pinpointed dead nuts.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Try removing all of the heads in that zone and run it. You could have an obstruction that can't pass. And you can always use a compressor at the end of the line to see if you can blow anything out of the pipes. Are too many heads operating in that zone?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
You know where the valve is, and you know where the heads are. The installers are not interested in running a lot of extra line, it will normally be a straight run. Run that zone for a while, then see if you can find a soft spot in the ground.

If all else fails, dig up the first head and follow it to the main line. At that point, you can either dig up the main line to the valve, or call in a pro to either fix or replace it that line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts