DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a small sprinkler system attached to an outside faucet. I'm on a well and the water pressure on my well tank says 50 PSI. However, the faucet I wish to use for this sprinkler system is at the far end of the house and the PSI there is only about 37. Consequently, my sprinklers are not covering nearly enough ground.

It looks like I need to set up a pump to increase the pressure, but when I look at Youtube videos, none of them seem to cover attaching the pump to a spigot and running water through it. Can I do this? What kind of pump must I buy?

I've got four sprayers on my line, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
37,293 Posts
How are you measuring the pressure?
If it's 50 PSI at rest, then drops when the lines opened that's normal.
Not enough water flow then it's not a pressure issue, it's a flow issue.
Bet there's only a 1/2" line ran to that faucet.
Increasing it to a 3/4" line will double the available flow.

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you measuring the pressure?
If it's 50 PSI at rest, then drops when the lines opened that's normal.
Not enough water flow then it's not a pressure issue, it's a flow issue.
Bet there's only a 1/2" line ran to that faucet.
Increasing it to a 3/4" line will double the available flow.

I am measuring the water pressure at the faucet with a gauge and the faucet turned on fully. My well tank has a gauge on it.

I don't know what size line is running to that faucet and there is no way I am replumbing my house for this. Thus my thought about about adding a pump which would be much cheaper.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My questions is: Is it possible to hook up a water pressure enhancement pump to my FAUCET and how would I do it?

I know their are more professional ways to put in a sprinkler system. I am not 1) a plumber 2)don't have the cash for one 3) a 66 year old woman with limited strength and endurance.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
You'll need to do a static and dynamic pressure test. With a well in the equation it's more problematic but can be done with one person watching the well gauge and the second person watching the faucet gauge. This is assuming both gauges are accurate within about 5 % and the two people communicating as pressures change.

·
Usually Confused
7,269 Posts
Pressure and volume (flow) are related, but two different things. You pressure drop from well to faucet is likely due to friction losses in the pipes and fittings, but the size of the pipes and fittings determines flow. If you are feeding it with a 1/2" line you probably won't enough volume out to more than a couple of sprinkler heads close to the house. You might be able to install a pump to increase pressure but you probably won't have enough flow to keep up unless you install another tank. Then you have to deal with the circuitry to make it all work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts