DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a house and will be pulling low voltage. I have an area where I will be pulling 7 speaker wire, and 6 network wire down the same path. I would like to zip tie these together or put then through some kind of hanger when pulling them through the floor trusses. is there a product I can do that with? My builder says zip ties are not within code for in ceiling/floor use.

I live in the Rochester, MN area.

·
Naildriver
12,100 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Personally, I would not bundle different “systems” together any further than I absolutely had to. If there happened to be any crosstalk between systems, the wires are “buried”. It was never a problem, until it was a problem; then I had 'egg on my face' and had to run new network cables at no charge. :vs_mad:

On network cables there are limits as to how tightly they can be bundled and on making turns (radius). Can cause speed issues. I've been retired way too long to remember what they are.

For securing, check out drive rings at your big box store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! sorry, I should have clarified. I hope to bundle the speaker wire, network wire, etc all seperately. but there are so many wires, I hate to use one cable clip per wire, that would take up so much space and time.

Are those mounted ties UL listed for in wall use?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Either someone is pulling your leg or they have risen to their level of incompetence. Ask for a code reference that is applicable.

Even so, I recommend drive rings since it makes for easier pulling additional runs in and withdrawing something later. Include a pull string or mule tape for possible future additions.

·
Registered
612 Posts
if by "network cables" you are referring to copper cat5 or cat6 etc,

network standards for these cables specifically state NOT to use zip-ties/cable ties,

velcro straps are recommended,

i installed cat5 and cat6 cabling for over 20 years

·
Super Moderator
21,789 Posts
Use electrical tape not zip ties. Zip ties will hang when pulling through hangers or holes. Tape will just slide through.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you use enough closely spaced drive rings, you won't have to bundle the wires or cables together. Some cables aren't sociable and like to stay away from others as much as possible. The rings go in quick and easy... just need a hammer. Relieves frustration too! They'll pass review by all AHJ's so not to worry.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I wonder about j hooks? Then I wouldn't need to thread them or ziptie them since it's a no no with network wire?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I wouldn't attach network cables in any way that I couldn't repull them later as the technology changes. Also you may want to replace one when it goes sour for some unknown reason. Besides, they're already designing cat 9 stuff. They'll be laughing at the old cat 6 systems before you know it.

I've worked in electronics since age 13 when I got my first amateur radio license, if anyone had said they'd be running 250 Megahertz (Megacycles when I started) switching through a wire cable someday, they'd have been heehawed out of the ham shack.

If you tape them together or zip tie them or j-hook them, you'll not be able to easily repull them like you could if you let them rest easy in drive rings.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
CAT and audio should not be run next to electrical, even if they're shielded [aka FTP or STP]. (CATs use positive and negative signal wires, the electrical field of power lines and other unshielded [aka UTP] CATs introduces "noise" and will cause your CAT to run slower [usually]) If you have to cross an electrical wire with cat or audio you should do it at 90 degree angles. They recommend keeping Cats a foot away from electrical, I believe that goes for audio as well.

*NOTE if you're using FTP or STP (shielded) CAT, you can run them together as they don't create enough "noise" to cause problems with each other. (Part of why they started shielding CAT was so you could run them "in parallel".) However, I think the shielding on audio might not be enough for any noise so I'd run those on their own regardless of CAT shielding.

Also, I've heard that you shouldn't run high and low voltage power near each other either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone! I will for sure try to keep cat6a and speaker wires 1foot away from power. I will also seperate speaker and net as much as possible. I will have shielded rca type cables too, can they go with speaker or should they be a 3rd bundle? Do you all think j hooks would work? I don't think I can make the cables removable after install since fire code requires all holes and cracks to be filled with expanding foam... I am running empty 1" flex conduit for future pulls...

·
Super Moderator
21,789 Posts
It is no problem bundling network cables. I used to make up 100 foot bundles of 25 cat5 cables for renos in the office. I stretched them out in the warehouse and tied them up with electrical tape. No zip ties as they would get caught when being pulled in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts