DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the site. In the process of buying my first house ( a little bit of a fixer upper) anyway, the hot water in basement and kitchen(first floor) is great, but the hot water pressure in the tub(second floor) is slim to non existant, and in the sink is (ONLY) slightly lower than the pressure of the cold water.

House is from 1917 with copper pipes
water tank is from 2007

any help would be greatly appreciated . I Have no idea what i am doing lol

·
Owner
998 Posts
Hi, new to the site. In the process of buying my first house ( a little bit of a fixer upper) anyway, the hot water in basement and kitchen(first floor) is great, but the hot water pressure in the tub(second floor) is slim to non existant, and in the sink is (ONLY) slightly lower than the pressure of the cold water.

House is from 1917 with copper pipes
water tank is from 2007

any help would be greatly appreciated . I Have no idea what i am doing lol
If you haven't closed yet, make sure to have a video inspection of the sewer lateral. It may save you thousands.

As far as the hot water problem, it could be a multitude of things. If it's just the tub, then most likely the tub/shower valve is clogged with debris. i.e. hard water, mineral deposits, etc. It may end up being a process of elimination. Assuming all the water lines are original, they're probably corroded to the point that they're necked down like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
how would i go about flushing them out then, if that is the problem, i found info online about backflushing, and tried that with the bathroom sink, some orangish color water came thru the bathTUB faucet when i closed off the sink and opened it, but no debris (i assume that the orangish color was from rust). Do i need to do this again, or for a longer period, and how do i do it to the tub itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.