DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help my sister-in-law whose tub will not output sufficient water. It's a steady stream with not much force at all. I replaced the Moen model 1220 cartridge and cleaned out and flushed the bore. There is very good water pressure coming out of the bore when I turn the water on and there's no valve cartridge in place. When I installed the cartridge, though, it's back to a low flow. I've tried 2 different new cartridges with the same results. No different from the original cartridge that was there before. Moen had no idea what to tell me when I called their support line and all they could do was send me a new valve body to replace the old one with. I'd rather not get into doing that if i can help it. The builder never made an access panel for the shower so I can't get to it without cutting a hole in her closet wall and installing an access panel. It's also using Pex connections, and I don't have the tool or knowledge to hook that up.

I also tried removing the spout in case something was wrong with the diverter so I eliminated that as a cause. i get the same output with no spout on the copper pipe.

·
Premium Member
11,768 Posts
What is the age of the house?
What is the water pressure to the house?
Do you have a crawl space to get a visual on the pipe sizing for the home?
Is this a tub only or is there a shower outlet too?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally figured out what the problem was with the shower. My sister-in-law told me there was one key to turn on the water to the bathroom. It's a pex plenum thing that I'm not real familiar with. Well apparently there are 2 keys to turn on the water. One for hot and one for cold. I think we were only getting the hot water to the faucet. Just not enough pressure to activate the shower without the cold water too apparently. All working now.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Let me get a cold one and drink to that.
What will you do with all the cartridges Moen sent you?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I think we were only getting the hot water to the faucet. Just not enough pressure to activate the shower without the cold water too apparently. All working now.

Very likely the cartridge is a "pressure balance" or "anti-scald" type that is supposed to maintain the hot/cold flow ratio in the case of a pressure drop on one (to keep you from getting burned when someone flushes the toilet). Hot and cold have to be on, or you won't get either, regardless of where you set it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me get a cold one and drink to that.
What will you do with all the cartridges Moen sent you?
well we have the one cartridge installed and it's working, so we'll send the valve body back to Moen since we didn't need it. pretty nice of them to go to that trouble to help us fix the problem. I'll buy their products again in the future.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very likely the cartridge is a "pressure balance" or "anti-scald" type that is supposed to maintain the hot/cold flow ratio in the case of a pressure drop on one (to keep you from getting burned when someone flushes the toilet). Hot and cold have to be on, or you won't get either, regardless of where you set it.
Yeah I had read somewhere that they were pressure sensitive and not knowing that one of the water supplies was not turned on made me wonder if somehow that pressure sensitivity was malfunctioning. that's probably the cause of the low flow with one turned on.

btw, we still had to fix the fact that the builder never attached the valve body to anything. I had to put a block of wood in front of the valve body to prevent it from pulling out of the wall or you'd see the copper pipe behind the faucet if you moved it. I had to do it that way or the only alternative was tearing out the drywall in the closet on the other side of the wall from the shower (where no access panel was provided either). not sure why the building inspector never caught those things. it would be pretty obvious that it was never attached to anything at least. sometimes they really cut corners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts