DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a strong breeze when I opened the furnace doors that i wasn't expecting and the room was quite hot. The air flow is quite a bit stronger than any of the floor register vents. I'd like that air to get into the ducts instead. There are some obvious holes in the side of the heat pump thingy where lots of air is coming out and there is a lot of air coming from the side where some sheet metal that was added by the heating guys that doesn't quite meet up with the duct in the foundation. Is it reasonable to ask the heating guys to come and fix these holes and gaps?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
the hole on the right is the secondary overflow drain, there isn't much you can do about that since it needs to be open. the hole near the refrigerant line should be sealed with a rubber grommet but doesn't look like it is.

it's the gap that is causing the majority of the problem for sure. that needs to be sealed up. HVAC aluminum tape and/or mastic (thick paste-like hvac sealant) can be used if the gap isn't too large.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the point of the second overflow drain? Is it there in case the right-hand drain is filled up?

·
Registered
577 Posts
What's the point of the second overflow drain? Is it there in case the right-hand drain is filled up?
if the main drain clogs up, water will build up and flow out the overflow drain hole. typically, there is a pan under the overflow drain that has a drain pipe running out of it. so essentially, you have a backup drain in case the main drain gets clogged so you don't end up with water damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts