DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was watchiig TV in my living room and all of a sudden the power went out. I checked the breaker but it wasn't tripped and I'm still getting 120V but no power at any of the outlets on the entire circuit. Also there are no gfi's as it is a 1970's mobile home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
electrical help

I was watching tv in my living room and all of a sudden everthing went off. i checked the breaker it was not tripped so i checked it with a meter and its still putting out 120v. i checked my outlets as well not one of them on the entire circuit have power. also there are no gfi's as it is a 1970s mobile home.

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
Possible bad breaker or loose neutral maybe at the electrical panel. Can you post a picture of the electrical panel? Thanks.

You will need a certified electrician to check for loose wires at the breaker/panel if you lack the required skills.

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
Check with your neighbors first and see if they have any simular issues. Maybe it's just a partial outage in your area. How long has it been like this?

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Have you checked with a tester? is the power missing or the neutral?

Have you tested the power at the breaker? Is it good?

Reactions: gregzoll

·
Super Moderator
23,730 Posts
There is an open connection in one of the devices on the circuit. Turn off the breaker and start checking all the devices that are not working, Even the ones that were working before the breaker was turned off. Start with the ones closest to the breaker panel as they will all be daisy chained one after the other moving away from the panel.

How are you measuring voltage? Between what two points. If you are measuring between hot and ground then the hot might be OK. Measure between hot and neutral. If you get nothing then the neutral could be open. If you are using a digital meter it could also be a false reading called phantom voltage.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
You are going to have to trace the route of that circuit and look for the bad connection--it might be the first outlet on the run---sometimes the outlet is used to carry through the power to the next outlet.

It will take some time---start by removing the one that gets the most use--and is most likely to fry---

·
Super Moderator
23,730 Posts
Double post from here

http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/electrical-help-212914/

Same answer here as there.

There is an open connection in one of the devices on the circuit. Turn off the breaker and start checking all the devices that are not working, Even the ones that were working before the breaker was turned off. Start with the ones closest to the breaker panel as they will all be daisy chained one after the other moving away from the panel.

How are you measuring voltage? Between what two points. If you are measuring between hot and ground then the hot might be OK. Measure between hot and neutral. If you get nothing then the neutral could be open. If you are using a digital meter it could also be a false reading called phantom voltage.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,373 Posts
Yes I tested at the breaker and it is still at 120v. And the outlets have no power[/QUOTE

You really have to be precise and descriptive in tracing electrical issues.

1) How did you test it at the breaker... a non-contact or a MM (multimeter) on the load side of the breaker... assuming your other contact point was a neutral or ground.

2) If what you said above is correct and true, you either have a broken hot or neutral branch feed.

I do not think there is an other possibility that I can think of ( baring your TV just quit).

·
Banned
342 Posts
Sniff the outlets one by one until you find the burnt smelling one and repair

Reactions: Desertdrifter

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,373 Posts
Sniff the outlets one by one until you find the burnt smelling one and repair
And be carefull if any recepticals are outside and there are any stray male dogs nearby....:laughing:

Agree with everyone above... likely a backstapped daisy chained receptical.... but give consideration to anything that might have been done with recent repairs/construction/alterations

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.