DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...
Before I call an electrician, wanted to know if I could troubleshoot the problem.

In one of the small rooms in the house I'm staying, I lost electricity after plugging in a hair drier; the plug was not in the bathroom but in the room. I had a space heater warming up the room so I guess too much current came through.

The breaker box had no tripped circuit breakers and unfortunately, the room that lost the power is not clearly labeled on the breaker box, which can be seen here. Can't link it as not enough posts. imgur.com/UnOlCX0

Anything that can be done before calling a professional? thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
go to the breaker box and look for any breakers that have the little toggle in the middle, when breakers go off they usually dont switch all the way over, just switch it all the way off then back on, this should resolve the issue, if you cant find it, just switch them all off and back on..are there any gfci outlets? but try the breakers first..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I switched all the color ones off and back on (imgur.com/UnOlCX0)

The ones on top with numbers that are blacked, not sure what those are for, so didn't touch them. There are no gfci outlets; is an older home.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
That is an old zinzco panel. They are known for failures. It could be a bad breaker or it could be a bad connection somewhere on the circuit.
Most of the time it is recommended that a Zinzco be replaced.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
There is a two pole 60 amp breaker in that panel, so I would suspect a subpanel somewhere in the house/garage/outbuilding. The subpanel breakers should be checked.

I would also not rule out a GFCI somewhere. In older houses I have found them in the garage, sometimes behind boxes or other items. Depending on how that circuit was run, it could be anywhere. If the house has a basement, that would be another potential location.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts