DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 switches on a wall, 2 per actual switch in the wall. 1 for an indoor light and an outdoor GFCI outlet, the other for an outdoor light and an internal outlet. Sometimes when I turn the light on, it goes out but the breaker doesn't trip. If I turn the breaker off/on a few times, sometimes everything then works for a while. Other times it doesn't but then if I turn it off/on again a few times the next day, everything starts working again.

Does that make any sense? Could it be something with the outdoor GFCI outlet perhaps like maybe get wet or something (although not sure it's always rained recently when I've had this problem).

I have a multimeter and an outlet tester but just not really sure what to test or how, electrical is very much not an area of skill for me, but willing to follow directions from those who know what they're doing.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have 4 switches on a wall, 2 per actual switch in the wall. 1 for an indoor light and an outdoor GFCI outlet, the other for an outdoor light and an internal outlet. Sometimes when I turn the light on, it goes out but the breaker doesn't trip. If I turn the breaker off/on a few times, sometimes everything then works for a while. Other times it doesn't but then if I turn it off/on again a few times the next day, everything starts working again.

Does that make any sense? Could it be something with the outdoor GFCI outlet perhaps like maybe get wet or something (although not sure it's always rained recently when I've had this problem).

I have a multimeter and an outlet tester but just not really sure what to test or how, electrical is very much not an area of skill for me, but willing to follow directions from those who know what they're doing.
If the whole circuit is going out, it sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere, either in the switch box, or upstream. I would start at the switch box and work my way towards the panel.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Electrical apprentice
225 Posts

If the switch is feeding the line side of the gfci outlet it won’t affect the power going to your switches. One low risk thing you could try is take the switch plate off and check for voltages at each switch when it isn’t working. You shouldn’t have to remove the switches and you can put one lead on the box if it is metal or the metal yoke of one of the switches and the other lead on the terminals of the switches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other thing I noticed, is on that same breaker there's another outlet but on a different wall so isolated from the 4 in question. When those 4 go out, that other one doesn't.
Phillip, do you mean take the switch cover off exposing both switches with two switches each, then testing those? Sorry, I'm REALLY not good with electrical.

·
Super Moderator
15,779 Posts
If a) of those are one one circuit and some do not lose power you need to check the outgoing connections there or at the first item that loses power for a loose connection.

Reactions: dvqfi

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is the working outlet before the switch box? (Closer to the panel) if so, start there. Take it out, properly splice the wires with a tail for the outlet, and use the terminal screws. Back stabbed outlets are a common failure point which causes your issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The outlet that stays working when the four stop working is in between the 4 and the circuit breaker box, so guessing that means that one isn't the problem if I understood what you said properly.
On the four, I did take the light switch panel off the wall and tightened all the screws on the sides of the two actual switches in there, they all seemed pretty tight to begin with though.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
If the switch is feeding the line side of the gfci outlet it won’t affect the power going to your switches. One low risk thing you could try is take the switch plate off and check for voltages at each switch when it isn’t working. You shouldn’t have to remove the switches and you can put one lead on the box if it is metal or the metal yoke of one of the switches and the other lead on the terminals of the switches.
Thats not very good advice. Especially if there is a metal box. Too easy to spark the test lead and see the flash. Better to turn off power and pull out the switches enough to get a clear shot with meter leads. Then turn on power for testing. And back off again to screw the switches back in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The outlet that stays working when the four stop working is in between the 4 and the circuit breaker box, so guessing that means that one isn't the problem if I understood what you said properly.
On the four, I did take the light switch panel off the wall and tightened all the screws on the sides of the two actual switches in there, they all seemed pretty tight to begin with though.
No, I'm saying that one could be the problem. Start there, then the first dead one. Most likely one of those 2

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts