DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mosaic tiled floor and my shower drain is a bit loose. I can wiggle it a little bit with some effort. I don't know much about shower systems, but can I simply tighten the drain with the two the notches? Would that work, or is the drain likely mortared onto the pan? I want to avoid removing it should I put it back incorrectly. Like I said, it's just a bit loose and I'm worries some water will get in where the drain meets the tiles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
I agree with you, looks like there are notches there you can grab and tighten it back down. Looks like a special tool to tighten it, but I'm sure you can just tighten it down by hand and a large channel lock pliers if needed.

Can't tell by the pic, Is there any clear silicone around it where it meets the tile?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you, looks like there are notches there you can grab and tighten it back down. Looks like a special tool to tighten it, but I'm sure you can just tighten it down by hand and a large channel lock pliers if needed.

Can't tell by the pic, Is there any clear silicone around it where it meets the tile?
There isn't any silicone where the drain meets the tile. I will definitely be adding some there once I manage to tighten the drain. I just wanted to make sure that I can't do any damage by trying to tighten it some more.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, on second thought, I may want to completely remove the drain basket to make sure it's sealed correctly. Does this drain set up look like it can simply be unscrewed and put back in place?

·
Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
Actually, on second thought, I may want to completely remove the drain basket to make sure it's sealed correctly. Does this drain set up look like it can simply be unscrewed and put back in place?
I can't be for sure looking at the pic, but that's what it looks like to me. See if it will just unscrew all the way off, it's loose anyway.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
The picture isn't the best, but it looks like you have a drain with a gasket between the drain basket and the drain pipe, as a fill in space measure.
When that gasket gets worn out, replacing it can solve the problem.
Fernco item P22U-139 2" donut gasket, or similar, avail at the box stores.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The picture isn't the best, but it looks like you have a drain with a gasket between the drain basket and the drain pipe, as a fill in space measure.
When that gasket gets worn out, replacing it can solve the problem.
Fernco item P22U-139 2" donut gasket, or similar, avail at the box stores.
I believe you're right, this is what I have. So, does that mean I cant just screw off the white basket, replace the gasket and screw back on? Should I apply any plumbers putty or silicone anywhere while doing this switch?

Also, i've been trying to find a tool to remove the basket with no luck. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
That shower drain probably has weep holes under the flange( buried in the thinset). I would just screw it down snug and add some grout as necessary.

No silicone, unless you like how icky it gets when it doesn't dry out underneath.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The manufacturer is Camplas and here is what I think I have. Any reason the drain basket shouldnt just screw out? I want to silicone under the lip of the basket

Attachments

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
If you are certain you have a Canplas drain with female thread, you can try to unscrew the top part or tighten it.
Without seeing what you have from closeup, I can't say more.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so basically, you can unscrew the shower drain basket without doing any harm to the shower liner or waterproofing system, right?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
This is what I think you might have. just tighten it a bit with 2 crossed flat blade screwdrivers.
Your joint is a glue joint and you might make the thing leak.
Drain

·
Registered
85 Posts
Because you have tile, I don't think you have the drain that you posted. Your drain should not have a gasket up top. (Those are for fiberglass floors and such.)

If it not leaking, and it's not proud (high, relative to the floor), I would leave it alone. If anything, pack some grout into any loose areas. Easy and avoids potential problems.

I think you have this:

So...can you unscrew it...probably, but the grout should be snug against the underside of it. If anything, try to screw it further down.

Or--if it does unscrew...do that, mix up a little bit of grout, and screw it down into the wet grout. That'll lock it in place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts