DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
The first step on my daughters front porch is made of 1 row of concrete pavers over concrete.
some pavers have come loose, what is the best way to reset these. My son in law tried a concrete construction adhesive, but it didn't work

thanks for your help in advance.

Ralph

· JUSTA MEMBER
20,330 Posts
I use PL Construction adhesive.

Clean all loose material from the area with a wire brush, then lay a couple of 1/4 inch beads down, then press the bricks down to even with each other.

Then keep all traffic off of them for at least 24 hours, then you can mortar between them as needed to seal out any water that might freeze and pop them up again.

ED

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
That is what he used. Some were loose immediately the next day, the rest came loose shortly there after- within days. There are 10 or 11 across the step.

I'm looking for something better.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't there when he did it
I told him to follow the instructions carefully.

He's not the handiest guy in the world

Days later when I saw it, the adhesive was still gooey.

Which PL product should he have used, I never saw what he use, only it was PL

· Registered
4,114 Posts
What was the temperature of the concrete? It could be low after a few months of winter.

Air temperatures mean little in your case.

When you shook things within the "at least 24 hour period" every thing could have been upset as far as future curing. The fact that your adhesive is still "gooey" means it did not have good curing conditions.

Since you had no sand in the vertical joints, any lateral force could upset things.

Dick

· Concrete & Masonry
4,069 Posts
I wasn't there when he did it
I told him to follow the instructions carefully.

He's not the handiest guy in the world

Days later when I saw it, the adhesive was still gooey.

Which PL product should he have used, I never saw what he use, only it was PL
If you used the PL or Liquid Nails "Landscape" adhesive, I had the same thing happen last Fall. I've used the stuff for years, and I've never seen it before. I wasn't willing to take the risk that 50# caps could fall on a customer's toes, so I ended up using some stuff that had a lot lower application temperature. I just picked it up at the supplier where I got the block & caps from.

That said, if the rest of the brick are laid in mortar, I'd more than likely reset them with a good quality modifed thinset that can be used outside. A tile shop will be able to get you what you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.