DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I thought about responding with "Turn the power off first" when I saw this post the other day and it had only 2 responses. Then I thought "nah, that is common sense."

That said, I think we'd all be surprised how many people electrocute themselves every year because of a lack of common sense. Everyone just wants to keep you alive and well.
you're right.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
Did you check that screws that hold the wire onto the switch with the power off?
I also mentioned do do it with the power off. Anyone doing electrical repair should also have a meter to make sure the circuit is off. I would not trust a contact tester to protect me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
here are some pics of the switch (obviously, all but the last one are after removing it from the wall). any thoughts? should i investigate a loose connection somewhere other than the 2 screws?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
here are some pics of the switch (obviously, all but the last one are after removing it from the wall). any thoughts? should i investigate a loose connection somewhere other than the 2 screws?
Everything appears to be tight. WHen you shake the switch when it is outside the box do the lights flicker?

Few other points:
Any electrician would know that is a switch loop in your situation but the white wire going to the switch should be taped with black tape a little bit just to indicate it is being used as a hot conductor. Obviously this piece of tape does not affect functionality I'm just pointing it out. See photos below--photo on right is of a 3-way switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Other point:
Make sure the switch stays in good contact with the box since I do not see a grounding screw on the switch. Remedy would be to buy a switch with a grounding screw and attach a pigtail from the bare ground wire in the box to the ground screww on the switch. See photos below. The ground to the switch does not affect functionality. But think of the ground wire as an airbag in a vehicle. If you need the airbag in a vehicle you are going to hope it is there. Same as ground on a device.

SOme photos below are of a 3-way switch and a receptacle but a ground pigtail is the same.

Attachments

·
Experienced
2,979 Posts
Many times the screws for the tabs (holding the switch to the box) are left loose (for depth adjustment) so when the cover is screwed on the switch pulls tight to the switch plate and the switch plate pulls tight to the wall.

Mark

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.