DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am painting my bathroom, so all the plates for the light switches and outlets have been removed.

One light switch moves a little bit if you touch it, and when I do so, the light flickers a bit. It goes slightly dimmer than normal for a split second.

My question is, do I just need to put the plate back on? Or are there loose wires I need to tighten? Would it be safest just to replace the whole switch box?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,298 Posts
Sounds like you have a loose connection in the box or to the switch. Loose connections can lead to fires or power outages.

If the switch is also loose on the box you may need to install a box extender. The maximum recess for a drywall finish is 1/4", flush if the surface is combustible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well. i tightened the screws that secure the swicth to the box. They were slightly loose, and this seems to have fixed the problem. The light no longer flickers at all. However, i just want to be safe -- is it possible that there still could be some loose connection? The light flickering was only caused by me manually moving the switch back and forth...

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
Did you check that screws that hold the wire onto the switch with the power off?

·
Super Moderator
10,193 Posts
The loose switch did not cause the light to flicker, a loose connection did.
All you did by tightening up the switch is make the switch not move to move the loose connection.
Turn the breaker of and check the wires on the switch!

Reactions: zappa

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The loose switch did not cause the light to flicker, a loose connection did.
All you did by tightening up the switch is make the switch not move to move the loose connection.
Turn the breaker of and check the wires on the switch!
the wires that connect to the switch were tight when i checked them.

so, when i moved the switch back and forth, was there some other loose connection that i was aggravating?

·
Registered
115 Posts
you know how to make a guy feel welcome.
I thought about responding with "Turn the power off first" when I saw this post the other day and it had only 2 responses. Then I thought "nah, that is common sense."

That said, I think we'd all be surprised how many people electrocute themselves every year because of a lack of common sense. Everyone just wants to keep you alive and well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.