DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

The hot water faucet handle in the attached photo is loose. It's American Standard brand. I don't see any visible screws. I've tried shutting off the water and turning the whole thing counterclockwise, but it doesn't appear to come off (i got about 3/4 of a revolution)...do I need to just keep turning? It gets very stiff and I worry about causing damage to it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hand E. Man

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Look here and click on 'parts diagram 'http://americanstandardparts.faucetdirect.com/index.cfm?page=product:partsDisplay&productId=7881.732&manufacturer=American%20Standard

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Sorry,link didn't take---American Standard 7881.732 Replacement Parts

There appears to be a cap cover on top of the handle--that hides a screw that goes into and adapter.

Be careful twisting that thing counter clockwise---you must hold the valve from underneath as you do that or you risk breaking off the water lines.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There appears to be a cap cover on top of the handle--that hides a screw that goes into and adapter.
Any idea how to get that cap off? As you'll see in the picture, there isn't much of a gap to get a flat screwdriver or anything in there to pry it off.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That doesn't even look like a cap----but the drawing showed it as such.

I use a pocket knife---close the drain! Don't loose the cap.

A lot of those faucets use the bell shaped base to hold the whole handle assembly together.

On moen the bell screws onto the valve body--Your counter clockwise attempt at unscrewing the bell was what I would have tried---Mike---

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Just a thought---that's a current model---if you can find one in a store--open the box and look--

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Any idea how to get that cap off? As you'll see in the picture, there isn't much of a gap to get a flat screwdriver or anything in there to pry it off.

You use a pocket knife and pop the index cap off and you will find the handle screw inside which you can tighten with a flat head screw driver if I’m not mistaken.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks oh'mike and epson. The pocket knife / flathead screwdriver did the trick. It took some fidgeting with the knife to finally get the cap off, but once that was off, it was a breeze.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts