DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a resource or video where I can learn the basics of electrical wiring. I've purchased a new home and would like to finish the basement. I will certainly have a pro in for inspection, but I'm very much a "do-it-myself" kind of guy.

I've done ok on many minor projects, including some plugs, switches and light fixtures, but running new wire is new to me.

What resources or materials would I benefit from the most?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could offer.

Steve

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A book called wiring a house by Rex cauldwell, that was my first electric book I think :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, completely agree with Julius793's recommendation on the book. Really good and the above code recommendations are interesting.

Also, you might check out a local junior college in your area. Some of them around here offer non-credit classes in home remodeling. One that used to be taught here included a section on electricity, wiring, bending conduit, code, etc.

·
Registered
647 Posts
A $20 "How To..." book from the big box stores did the job for me. The average DIYer is not going to do more than they show in those types of books.

B

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 on Black and Decker's "The Complete Guide to Home Wiring". For the most part, very good book on the basics that I used as my primary wiring guide when I did my own extensive basement remodeling project back in 2004.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Theres a great book by Charles Miller called, The Illustrated Guide To The National Electric Code.

Also like Julius said the Rex Cauldwell books are good too.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts