DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 3 pillars I am looking to install manufactured stone on, paper/lathe + scratch coat over restored plywood. attached is an image(s) (3 pillars).

Being open top the 2x4 stack supporting the arbor/beams has rotted significantly, you can see a photo of the temporary new 2x4 lumber for support as I restore the 2x4's to original piece by piece.

Some plywood is still partially frozen into the ground but I will pull it out in the Spring thaw soon. Surprisingly the supporting 2x4's (8) as posts are largely untouched by the elements. Upon visual inspection there is no rotting anywhere. I will need to dig a little deeper around the base to investigate further.

It has sagged and tilted maybe 3-16'' and sunk a little bit I'm sure (as its got the most load of all 3 and is slightly lower in height) but then again its been there for over 25 years.

Honestly I am saying that its pretty solid as I push on it at all directions, I am a 250 lb man soaking wet hanging off of the pillar and the beam it doesn't budge whatsoever.

Now I am just asking the opinions of people about installing manufactured stone on these structures, what are the concerns that I may be facing? is this worthy of even considering to do?

I have a stucco background and have no problem sealing, flashing, water proofing the top(s) and applying cement, I do it everyday. You can see cement on the fronts on some pillars but that will be demolished.

Never mind the front of the garage as I will apply a stone veneer there too, its not what I'm concerned about that. Just the ability of the pillars to take the extra weight.

Are there any ways to reinforce the pillars somehow? a small concrete pier with a 4X4 post up to the arbor/beam and then secure the supporting 2x4 arrangements to with bolts (it may be too confined inside the post to work)? is there any other light weight materials I can use? thin set base coats? lighter plywood or similar product?

Not sure what to do about this idea so any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,775 Posts
Ayuh,.... In Theory,....
The added weight is pushin' straight down, 'n would have little to no effect on stability,...

So long as the foundations can support that weight,....

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,283 Posts
Ya need to dig out some of that dirt, and check on what kind of foundation it has.

But as Bondo said, in theory you got no problems.

ED

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, thanks for the replies.

I am 98% sure that whenever this place was constructed that a concrete footing was used to build these structures on top of, otherwise these pillars would have no way of supporting the beams/arbors and their own weight for for almost 4 decades.

I will reinforce inside the pillar with stacked (2) mortared paving (2 bricks/stones (6"X8") over a leveled surface and over crushed road rocks for drainage, this will support a 4"x4" lumber post run up to the beam to help distribute the weight even more and used to tie into and align the existing supporting 2X4's to it with Lag bolts.

Not the ideal way but I really don't see any other options to help any weight distribution, even a little will help. After a rough estimate I am looking at an additional 600-850lbs to consider. I was hanging off the beam again today and this pillar does not budge :vs_karate: (I'm roughly 230lbs like I said).

Id like to dig to the foundation to get a good look whats underground still for peace of mind but not sure if that's even necessary, still exploring one post will tell me a lot.

Any additional things to consider? or ideas? let me know Id love to hear from you guys.

Thanks so much.

·
11,730 Posts
------------------------------Welcome to the forums!------------------------

Have you checked for level yet? Holding a straight-edge against my monitor of first picture shows the left corner column has dropped 2-3" from in-line with both tops over the garage walls...or maybe built that way... or maybe right side front of garage has dropped? Or optical illusion. In your last picture, it appears the fascia board has a wide gap at lower part of joint between boards and not at all straight.. have you stretched a string-line in front of it on blocks to see where it has settled? I doubt it will go down any right now with your weight on it if bottom is frozen in place... waiting to see the footing for mega additional weight you will be adding, and the flashing plan.

Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did check for level and plumb, these pillars are far from being either,

I'm gonna have to check the footing/base once it thaws out, not sure if it's just a pile slightly under the surface or a couple feet deep (hoping its the latter) I'm sure its a few feet buried because the beams and the pillar weight has been supported for a very long time. Once I can confirm this I will need to prop up the beam(s) and correct the level and re-allign the pillar and add a 4X4 post for extra support.

Hope this works as I plan.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts