DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install an Aprilaire humidifier. My concern is that the area around my furnace is very tight, and it’s old. We’re hoping to replace it in the spring. I was originally planning to use an Aprilaire 500, but I was thinking that maybe an Aprilaire 700 would be easier (no bypass). If I’m looking at this correctly, I don’t think I can get it on the supply side (top front or left side near water heater). I’m assuming that the evaporator coils are right there. I thought maybe I could place it on the side of the return, but I know that’s a tight area. I would have to work on a weird angle, but as long as I can make it work, I’d be happy. I have attached some pictures. If I could get any input/suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Hvac Pro
22,471 Posts
I would use a bypass one and mount it on the side of the return duct if you can get in there.

You can then put the supply pipe running from the horizontal duct after it leaves the furnace plenum. I use 6" galvanized pipe and elbows and hard pipe it. HDepot should have them.

Or if you can find 6" flex pipe made from aluminum. Point is the bit of cheap plastic flex pipe it comes with is usually too short and hard pipe is better.

You don't have to try take the air from the plenum as the AC coils are there and block it. You can go further downstream and off the duct. You will have more of a mess of pipes but it is possible.

When you get a new furnace it will be shorter (33") and maybe you can rework it then.

Make a access hole in the wall beside the return duct if necessary and finish it off nice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts