DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the windows and patio door of my new townhome. Other than getting a better insulated window to deal with the elements I am also looking for sound proofing qualities since the home is near a highway. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
37,264 Posts
Just not going to happen. Buying a quality double of triple paned window will certinly cut down on some of the noise but not all of it.
Planting some trees, adding a tall fence, making sure there's enough insulation in the walls can all help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I realize that I won't be able to cut down 100 % of the noise but since I'm looking to upgrade for the insulation factor I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a quality window that has high noise reducing feature as well.

·
Home Performance
1,542 Posts
Most manufacturers have a "sound package" consisting of laminated glass that will actually help quite a bit. In addition to that, a unit that is more air-tight will improve the sound level...
You'll get sales guys telling you that triple pane glass will be better, and for the most part that is bunk info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts