DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Looking for opinions on contractors work

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bud9051 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I had a contractor replace my siding this spring and now after the first big rain storm of the season I have water damage in my house. I believe it is due to the siding company not installing the siding properly and leaving nail holes, cuts and gaps in my old flashing. It appears that they aren't taking responsibility, and are blaming the flashing for being old, however I was hoping to get the opinions of the experts here to see if the pictures I posted could lead to flooding inside of my house. I appreciate your opinions!

I was also wondering as some siding was coming off. The contractor told me they use glue and that it must of not bonded properly. Do you use glue for siding?

Thank you!

#5 ·
I was so hoping your next post was going to be just kidding I saw this on Youtube.
I would not touch this job unless I was allowed to to remove everything and redo the whole thing.
There just is no simple fix for this one.
I can not see one single thing that was done right.
The last thing I want to do is go to court to try and get my money back but this is one case where even a judge that does not have a clue about siding could see this guy was a hack if you show him those pictures.
Did this guy even have a contractors licence?
You chose for some reason not to add you location to your profile so some of use would know the local laws, but in VA there's several steps you could take to not only get your money back but be able to have his licence revoked for doing work like that.
And no there is no glue used in a proper siding job!

Reactions: Bud9051 and Nealtw
#13 ·
Having you sign off on the final job is not the final word, home owners are not supposed to be certified in judging a siding install. That only said, at this time i don't see any problems. But insurance companies have the leverage to get all involved back out to judge the job and do what needs to be done. It wasn't leaking before the initial problem so whatever is causing that now should be part of the original claim.

Bud

Reactions: Itrim
#3 ·
That is so sloppy. you could expect anything. I would pay another siding guy to spend an hour there. Then you would get a feel for just how bad it is.

It looks like it was his first siding job and he forgot the instructions.

#4 ·
Ya, get a real siding company to write up everything it needs, you will have to pay for that. Then the problem is,you can't trust the first company to do the repairs. Hate to say it, but looks like you are headed to court. Did you have a contract? Did you get the names of his insurance company. Water damage and that sloppy work could be covered by his insurance, if he had any.

Bud

#8 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I appreciate all of the replies! We had a wind storm last year in November, where our aluminum siding detached. I spoke to my insurance company and they agreed to have all of my siding replaced.

They issued me a restoration company who subcontracted the work to this siding company. I had no say whatsoever in the matter and they began work in the spring. When it was done, it looked fine, and I signed off on the $13,500 bill for the insurance to pay. Two days later some of the new siding was coming off near my bathroom window. I was told that this is normal as the glue may not have bonded. That was when my worries started, however I let it slide. I sent an e-mail off to the restoration company and they came and fixed it.

I should of pushed it further, as now the siding came off at the corner of my house where I know the water came in, as I can see it from my attic.

They came by today and screwed in the siding where it came off and said this couldn't be the sidings fault as there is tyvek behind and that it must of been from the wall flashing, or the downspout beside the flashing. I told them my concerns in regards to the flashing and the holes, but they disregarded it. I told them that if it was in such poor condition they should of informed me. I believe that is something normal; a roofer comes to redo your shingles and he finds a piece of rotten plywood, he would tell you to replace it right?

I'm trying to get professional opinions in case I need to take this to court, because they want me to submit a new insurance claim for this, and I feel that I should suffer and have to pay a deductible with increased premiums for something they did.

I'm just not sure if I can prove that it was caused by them, but everything to me appears to line up.

#9 ·
Talked to your insurance company and insisted an adjuster come out and look at the work they did?
$13,500 where on the planet are you!
Screws are never ever used when installing siding!
Once again no form of "glue" is ever used when vinyl siding!
The pictures are deciving, one looked like it was Dutch Lap with built in foam insulation, the rest do not, what is it?
Siding with insulation behind it is thicker so there should have been 1" outside corners not 5/8" is the reason I'm asking.

#10 ·
I would call your insurance company, not to file a new claim, but to tell them you believe the sub the restoration company hired did inferior work.

Maybe they can help you out with the work done and the damage they caused.

The other issues with the old flashing and downspouts is a separate matter.

#12 ·
They might, but I don't want to be pushed to put in a new claim. I'm trying to determine if I am at fault or them. Did the downspout do it, I don't know, I checked and it looks caulked all the way around and a connecting piece is tight with 4 screws. The old flashing looks rough, but it also didn't have nail holes, gaps and cuts in it before the new siding came in.

Most of the cuts and nail holes were not near the corner where I believe the water came in, only the siding pieces that came off, but they are telling me the tyvek wouldn't allow water to penetrate through, however I found the tyvek in the jtrim and not over top of the flashing, which I believe it is supposed to be. Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.